A Memorial Meeting

A service in memory of the late Rev. Charles Carroll Everett, Dean of the Harvard Divinity School, was held yesterday morning in Channing Hall, Boston.

Rev. S.B. Stewart, President of the Divinity School Alumni Association, presided and made the introductory speech. The purpose of the service, he said, was to pay a tribute to the important position which Dean Everett had held among religious thinkers of his day. To the ministry and to theological students he was of constant help in the wisdom, and the keen analysis with which he explained the doctrines of religion. Mr. Stewart spoke also of Dean Everett's poetic imagination and warmth of nature that gave whatever he dealt with life and interest.

Professor Hyde, of Bowdoin College where Dean Everett was once a professor, explained in detail the Dean's philosophy and theological beliefs. Dr. Everett clearly realized that the spiritual life is one of constant self-surrender to the dictates of conscience and knowledge of the truth. He had little faith in sudden conversion, and believed true religion to be the slow, gradual growth in moral character that comes from babitual obedience to the highest ideals. His theology rested on the practical nature of religion; he believed that things are good in the measure that they are helpful, that things are evil in the measure that they harm. Dean Everett's great work was in the strong, logical reasoning by which be showed the relations of great religious truths to one another and to men.

Professor C.H. Toy, spoke of Dr. Everett's work on the editorial staff of the "New World." His business ability, which is somewhat lost sight of among the greater traits of his character, was shown in the clearest light in his work for the financial success of the magazine. His editorial writing was brilliant and of lasting value, and in his articles he presented the gist of the religious thought of the times.

Professor F.G. Peabody, spoke of Dean Everett in a more personal sense. He was not only the leader among his colleagues in the Divinity School but was their adviser as well, and since his death professors and students alike have felt the lack of the sympathetic and ready counsel that he gave. Dr. Peabody spoke feelingly of the unconstrained relations between the Dean and his pupils, and gave an appreciative description of Dr. Everett as he appeared to his friends. He was a man of great clearness and loftiness of moral vision. He seemed to see and realize better than other men the high spiritual mysteries and truths of theology and poetry; he was one of the pure in heart who "shall see God." "Simplicity of character, charity of mind, purity of heart," were Dean Everett's characteristics. "The life of the spirit was his habitual abiding place, the pursuit of truth his constant aim, and he was ever ready to accept the promise that to be spiritually minded is life and peace."