A Poor Afternoon's Work.

The practice yesterday showed that a slump has come in the work of the whole team. The formations were ragged, the signals were missed several times and there was a general lack of interest in the work. The linemen, especially, were slow and careless.

All of the first eleven were on the field except Hallowell and Sawin. Hallowell is resting his weak ankle, and Sawin, although able to walk without crutches, is still unable to begin playing. Kendall and Eilis were on the field, and Ellis received a little coaching in punting from P. D. Haughton '99, but did no work. His leg is improving rapidly. Daly, however, twisted his knee in the practice game, and will probably be unable to play against Brown.

The practice line-up was for one twenty-five minute period, in which the first eleven second one touchdown. After the kick off Devens, Putnam and Stillman made a series of short gains, and Devens made a run of fifteen yards around left end. Offside play gave the ball to the second eleven and Ives punted into the first team's territory. The first then missed signals, but several short gains by Devens soon took the ball to within striking distance of the goal. The interference on these runs was ragged and of little use to the runner. Finally Putnam broke through the line and scored the touchdown. On the next kick-off Daly took the ball, and it was on this play that he injured his knee. He had to be carried from the field. The only feature of the rest of the game was a long lodging run by Fincke.

The line-up: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Ristine, r.e.  l.e., Motley. J. Lawrence, R. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Spratt. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Carroll. Sargent, c.  c., Sugden. Lee, l.g.  r.g., Grew. Eaton, Graydon, l.t.  r.t., Wright. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Morse. Daly, Fincke, q.b.  q.b., Baldwin. Devens, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Jaynes. Putnam, l.h.b.  r.h.b., W. R. Lawrence. Stillman, Brayton, f.b.  f.b., Ives.