THE FRENCH PLAYS.

Graduates' Performance Tonight at 8.--Synopsis of the Plays.

The Cercle Francais will give the first performance of "Crispin Medecin" and "Un Jeune Homme Presse" in Brattle Hall, this evening at 8 o'clock. It will be open only to graduates and present members of the "Cercle" and will take the place of the usual dress rehearsal. The presentation will be identical with the public performances. The first public performance will be given in Brattle Hall on Monday night at 8 o'clock. On Thursday and Friday nights the last two performances will be given at Union Hall, 44 Boylston street, Boston. Reserved seats at $1.50 may be obtained at Thurston's and at Herrick's, or from R. W. Goelet, 5 Claverly.

The cast: Crispin Medecin. Mirobolan,  A. Champollion '02. Geralde,  L. Wilmerding '01. Crispin,  P. B. Haviland '01. Lisidor,  H Schenk '03. Un Chirugien,  L. De Koven '04. Simon,  L. De Koven '04. Feliante,  R. B. Bowler '02. Alcine,  F. Watson '02. Dorine,  F. B. Thompson '03. Lise,  R. K. Thorndike '02. The cast of "Un Jeune Homme Presse" as changed is: Dardard,  W. D. Haviland '01 Pontbicket,  P. B. Haviland '01. Colardeau,  A. Champollion '02.

The story of "Crispin Medecin" is as follows.

Lisidor, an aged widower, wishes to marry Alcine, the young and pretty daughter of his friend Mirobolan, a physician. Wishing to get rid of his son, Geralde, he sends him to the law school at Bourges, in company with Crispin, a valet. Geralde, however, is passionately in love with Alcine, the girl his father hopes to marry; and he therefore remains in Paris, instead of going to Bourges, keeping in concealment as far as possible.

All seems to favor Lisidor's suit at first, for Mirobolan is quite willing to have his daughter marry so old a friend. Their plans are upset, however, by the refusal of Feliante, Alcine's mother, to listen to the proposition; and in spite of remonstrances she has her way and no definite agreement is reached. The two old men are somewhat encouraged by the hopeful spirit of Marin, Lisidor's valet.

Meanwhile Geralde has use up all his money, and writes to his father for more, pretending to be hard at work in Bourges. Through the clumsiness of Crispin, by whom the letter was to be delivered, Lisidor's suspicions are aroused; for Crispin lost the real letter and, being afraid of his master, prepared a poor imitation of it, giving some lame excuses for strange lapses in his recollections of Bourges.

After promising to return later for the money, he sets off for the lodgings where Geralde is concealed, but on the way meets him in the street. Geralde is waiting for an interview with Alcine, who soon appears and te ls him that his father, Lisidor, wishes to marry her. She is in a great hurry and has to leave without further explanations; so Geralde writes a letter to her, asking for a longer interview, and gives it to Crispin to deliver.

The latter goes at once to Alcine's house. Mirobolan, her father, is about to hold a meeting with some physicians of his acquaintance for the purpose of dissecting the corpse of a man who has just been hanged. Crispin, with his letter, is received by Dorine, a maid-servant. Shortly after, he is nearly discovered by Mirobolan, who is busily preparing for the dissection. The only possible way of escaping undetected is by pretending to be the corpse, which Crispin accordingly does. In spite of remonstrance from Dorine, Mirobolan prepares to operate on the body of Crispin, who is nearly dead with fright. The physician is fortunately called away at this point; the corpse arises, and makes a determined effort to escape. A new arrival prevents this, but Dorine seizes a physician's robe and gives it to Crispin, who immediately puts it on. The new arrival proves to be a servant who has come to avail herself of Mirobolan's reputed power as a clairvoyant. Crispin of course has to play the role of the physician, and many absurd complications follow. He finally makes his escape, and is sent at once by Geralde to get the promised money from Lisidor. The latter has meanwhile discovered Geralde's deception, and a stormy scene follows. Crispin returns empty handed, and is sent, in spite of his terror, to Mirobolan's house, in the hope of meeting Alcine.

Lisidor and Marin have also gone there with the same hope in mind. Seeing Crispin dressed up as a doctor, they denounce him, but are in doubt as to his identity when he begins to declaim some Latin which he has picked up. He is finally recognized by all, however; and excuses his own and Geralde's conduct by the love of the latter for Alcine Lisidor gives way to his son and the matter is quickly arranged to the satisfaction of everyone.

Following is the story of "Un Jeune Homme Presse:"

A violent ringing is heard. M. Pontbicket, a glove manufacturer, comes out from his room, half asleep, and opens the door. Dardard, the "jeune homme presse," from Bordeaux, rushes in, dressed in his best clothes. He asks if Mr. Pontbicket had not gone to such and such a place that evening; if he did not sit in No. 13, second row, first gallery; and if his daughters had not been there with him. Pontbicket answers in the affirmative. It then develops that Dardard saw Mile. Pontbicket that evening, fell in love with her, and has come to ask for her hand at ten in the morning. Pontbicket threatens to kick Dardard out. But he is not to be put off, and, to conciliate the father, offers to buy 40,000 pairs of his gloves. Pontbicket at once changes his manner and agrees to everything. Dardard goes out to make arrangements for furnishing the apartments, but when he comes back he finds Pontbicket ready to kick him out again. Colardeau, a simple old friend of Pontbicket's has been engaged to his daughter for sometime, and naturally objects to Dardard's in tension. He, therefore, has suggested that it is all a hoax as it is the time of the carnival. Pontbicket takes it all in, but when Dardard returns is again won over. Pontbicket is especially delighted over Dardard's plan for importing gloves to England, free of duty. All the left hand gloves are sent to England, all the rights to Scotland.--Refuse to pay duty at both places; the gloves are sold at auction as odd pairs for a mere tri collect the odd pairs, put them together and sell them.--This is too much for Pontbicket. A man with so much intelligence cannot help being a desirable son-in-law.

After a few other misunderstandings, Colardeau is smoothed over; the mother gives her consent; and the whole matter is settled, without letting the daughter know anything about it