Further Investigation of the Elective System

The Seminary in Education, under the direction of Professor Hanus, is sending out a circular, with a set of questions appended to all who have graduated from the University since 1886, when the general elective system was adopted. This is in extension of the investigation of the elective system in colleges and secondary schools which was begun some weeks ago. It has been thought that the undergraduates, to whom the former circular was sent, might be somewhat biased by a mistaken sense of loyalty to a system to which the college is thoroughly committed, and that their replies might therefore be somewhat partisan. Furthermore, thought all replies are considered confidential, it is thought that some men will not be willing to state frankly the reasons which governed their choice. The graduates, by virtue of their maturity and experience, should be able to estimate the influence of the elective system on their own educational development justly and impartially, and accordingly their aid is asked.

Each graduate is asked to state his opinion as to the benefit or harm resulting from the influence of the elective system in his case, and to answer several more specific questions,--as to the number of courses taken to evade hard work; the effect of the system on strenuousness of application; the opinion of the writer regarding prescribed studies in schools and colleges, and what the studies thus prescribed should be. If the questions meet with general and intelligent response the result will, it is believed, be of great importance in the whole matter of American education.