Dr. Rainsford's Lecture.

Dr. William S. Rainsford, of St. George's Church, New York, addressed the University Religious Meeting last night on the theme of "Courage." He spoke in part as follows: Only the man who sees life sanely and sees it whole possesses true courage. It is a necessary quality in the development of every race. In its primitive form courage is only brutal, but it is this brute force and brute courage from which higher and more refined virtues spring. Brute courage reaches a certain point where it does not satisfy; it must be allied to faith. There are several checks upon the development of true courage in this country today. One is the easily won position which we have among the nations few of whom have gained theirs without years of struggle.

Plenty, power, wealth and ease, our present way of living, all are little calculated to develop true courage. Formerly it was simple living and hard work that won position for a man. Now the success of a man's business seems to depend on his cunning, and craft in combination and self advertisement. It is impossible to be truly brave without coming in contact with God, not in the mere abstract, but in whatever is good and beautiful.