FORESTRY AS A PROFESSION.

Opportunities for College Graduates in Forestry as a Life Work.

Mr. Gifford Pinchot, Chief of the United States Division of Forestry, spoke informally in the Fogg Lecture Room last night on "Forestry as a Profession." He said in part: The science of forestry began in France about the time of the Revolution, spread to Germany, and soon after became a profession. Forestry is in itself purely economic; it has to do with making masses of trees useful to man. Upon its results depends to a great extent the industrial future of the United States; over fifty per cent. of our country's area must eventually come under its activities. The great work of the forester will be to plant the treeless West, and to master the economic problems connected with lumbering in its relation to taxes.

Three questions naturally asked by a man who contemplates making forestry his life-work are: If he prepares will he find work to do? Will it pay? What sort of life is it? As to the first question-there is no fear of lack of work to do for years to come and it is college graduates who are wanted. In New York, New Jersey, Michigan, California and many other states activity in this field is beginning. In regard to pay, salaries are from $1000 to $2500. Just as in college teaching a large part of compensation is in the pleasure of the occupation. Forestry is a science yet to be developed and this constitutes one of its chief fascinations. Although the life is a fine, healthy outdoor one, it is not without its monotony both in the woods and at the desk. Hardiness, cheerfulness, power of observation are necessary qualities. The pay for those who do the summer work is twenty-five dollars a month. For thorough preparation two years at a forestry school and one year abroad are necessary.

Any men who think seriously of working in forestry this summer are asked to communicate with Mr. Pinchot in Washington.