THE GRADUATES' MAGAZINE.

Biographical Sketches of J. C. Ropes and Gen. Lawton.--Migration of Students.

The March number of the Graduates' Magazine contains as leading features three admirable biographical sketches of the late John Codman Ropes, written by C. F. Adams '56, Solomon Lincoln '57, and J. C. Gray '59, and originally prepared for a meeting of the Massachusetts Historical Society, and a less intimate but equally interesting and appreciative sketch of the late Gen. Lawton, by W. G. Brown '91. The other special articles are "Migration," by R. M. Alden A. M. '96; a review and brief summary of "Professor Royce's Gifford Lectures," recently published, by Richard C. Cabot '89; a brief history of the "Delta Upsilon at Harvard," by F. G. Cook '82; and a description of the University's famous "Mineralogical Collection," by J. E. Wolff '79. The number is unusually rich in its "News from the Classes" and in the University and Literary Notes. Press. Eliot's January report is largely reproduced, and the recent decision of the Massachusetts Supreme Court on the taxation case is printed in full. The frontispiece is a portrait of Ropes; there are also excellent portraits of Lawton and of Henri de Regnier, and a picture of the University Museum.

In "Migration," Mr. Alden comments on the growth of the American student's tendency to move frequently from one university to another. He points out that although the broadening advantages of this movement are many, especially to the smaller universities, yet one bad feature exists in that both students and universities are, "perhaps, somewhat distracted from simplicity and directness of aim." Yet these disadvantages "Seem to be only those incidental to any progressive condition and to be greatly out weighed by the gains reaped by both students and universities." "From a Graduates' Window" comes a remarkably well-informed and vigorous protest against the "athletocracy" that has sprung up in the great body of past athletes and coaches and present members of the Athletic Association to claim first choice in the distribution of football tickets. The condition last fall "simply shows how far professionalism has cankered our athletes' notions of propriety." "No arrangement will be satisfactory," the article concludes, "which fails to recognize that the College sports are primarily for the students, and not for the graduates or the public."

Professor Hart writes on "Significant Questions," and gives the most complete account of the taxation controversy that has yet appeared. From the recent decisions, "taken together, it is plain," he says, "that, in the minds of the Supreme Court, the statutory exemption applies to any college property which is occupied with a view to the proper administration of college affairs. The dormitories and dining halls are completely protected by the recent decision, and are not likely again to come into question, either here or in other colleges. It is to be hoped that the traditional amity between Cambridge and Harvard will cease to be disturbed." Professor Hart also comments on the interesting development of the luxurious private dormitory region about Mt. Auburn street, in spite of the coming Elevated Road, and of the fact that the "official University buildings must be planted more and more to the north of Kirkland street." The new University buildings are held back, he says, by the high price of building materials. A plea is made for a new library building. "The magnificent collection of books in the Library is not only the fourth in number of volumes in the United States, but the first in the judicious choice of books, in catalogues, in circulation, and in the tradition of generous use. Such a library deserves a handsome setting."