YESTERDAY'S GAMES.

A Creditable Showing Made Under Unfavorable Conditions.

In spite of the heavy rain yesterday, the University track games were held as announced on Holmes Field. Although the track was very heavy and fast time impossible, Mr. Lathrop wished the team to be prepared to meet similar conditions in outside meets. The chief value of yesterday's games was that they showed several men to be good in events in which they had never before competed. J. E. Haigh '03, who has recently done well in the hundred and the two-twenty entered yesterday in the quarter mile, and won in the creditable time of 51 2-5 seconds. The half mile was won by C. J. Swan '01, a mile runner, with A. W. Blakemore 3L., a two-mile man, a good second. H. F. Cochems 3L., did the best individual work, winning first in the shot put, second in the hammer throw and third in the broad jump.

The soft runways prevented any good performances in the jumps. Cochems's shot-put of 41 feet was good. The pole-vault was postponed.

Hallowell won both hurdles with ease, but not in very fast time. Willis was second in the high hurdles and third in the low.

Grant did not compete and the field of starters in both the mile and two-mile run was small. Knowles won the mile by about sixty yards, in the creditable time of 4 minutes 48 seconds. He is a strong runner and will be a valuable addition to the team. In the two-mile, Richardson led until the middle of the last lap, when Foote passed him and won by about ten yards.

The results of the dashes were little more than mediocre. Clerk, who won the two-twenty, had just before run second in the quarter. Sprague, who won the hundred, was taken with a severe cramp just before the finish and will not be able to run again for some time.

120 Yards Hurdles.

First heat--Won by J. W. Hallowell '01; second, G. R. Ainsworth '03. Time, 18s.

Second heat--Won by E. H. Webb '01; second, A. W. Ristine '02. Time, 18s.

Third heat--Won by J. G. Willis '02; second, R. Abercrombie'03. Time, 17 1-2s.

Final heat--Won by J. W. Hallowell '01; second, J. G. Willis '02; third, E. H. Webb '01. Time, 17s.

100 Yards Dash.

First heat--Won by A. M. Butler '02; second, D. G. Harris '00. Time, 10 3-4s.

Second heat--won by E. B. Sprague '03; second, Joseph Barnes 1G. Time, 10 3-5s.

Final heat--Won by E. B. Sprague '03; second, A. M. Butler '02; third, Joseph Barnes 1G, Time, 10 3-5s.

440 Yards Dash.

Won by J. E. Haigh '03; second, W. G. Clerk '01; third, A. L. Dean '00.

880 Yards Run.

Won by C. J. Swan '01; second, A. W. Blakemore 3L.; third, L. C. Ledyard '00. Time, 2m. 5 3-5s.

One Mile Run.

Won by H. S. Knowles '02; second, F. C. Williams '01; third, D. Daly '01. Time, 4m. 48s.

220 Yards Hurdles.

First heat--Won by J. G. Willis '02; second, E. H. Webb '01; third, G. G. Hubbard '00. Time, 27 3-5s.

Second heat--Won by J. W. Hallowell '01; second, A. W. Ristine '02. Time, 28s.

Final heat--Won by J. W. Hallowell '01; second, A. W. Ristine '02; third, J. G. Willis '02. Time, 27 2-5s.

220 Yards Dash.

Won by W. G. Clerk '01; second, A. M. Butler '02; third, E. M. Ayer '03.

Two-Mile Run.

Won by H. W. Foote 2Dv.; second, O. W. Richardson 1L.; third, W. Blakemore 3L.

Running High Jump.

Won by A. N. Rice '00, 5 ft. 7 1-4 in.; second, C. M. Rotch '01, 5 ft, 7 1-4 in.; S. G. Ellis '01 and N. F. Glidden '03 tied for third, 5 ft. 5 1-4 in.

Shot Put.

Won by H. F. Cochems 3L., 41 ft.; second, W. A. Boal, 38 ft.; third, R. C. Heath '00, 37 ft. 5 in.

Hammer Throw.

Won by W. A. Boal '00, 131 ft. 4 1-2 in.; second, H. F. Cochems 3L., 122 ft. 8 1-4 in.; third, H. J. Brown '02, 118 ft. 10 in.

Running Broad Jump.

Won by A. W. Ristine '02, 21 ft. 4 1-2 in.; second, J. H. Shirk '02, 20 ft. 10 in.; third, H. F. Cochems 3L., 20 ft. 3 in.