SOUTHERN TRIP.

The Nine Plays Only One Scheduled Game, Owing to Bad Weather.

The University nine played but one scheduled game on its Southern trip, as the date with Georgetown University was cancelled on account of rain. All the men returned last night in good condition and but for the unfavorable weather the trip would have been a success in every way. Practice games were held morning and afternoon under the attention of Dr. Nichols and B. H. Hayes '98. The team showed improvement, although at times the weather was so hot that it seemed to take all the snap and life out of the playing. The batting has perhaps shown the most decided improvement, the team getting twenty hits in the two games, and making but two errors. The Georgetown game was to serve as a sort of final test, and owing to its postponement a final judgment with regard to the strength of the team can hardly be made.

The first game, which was played on Saturday, April 14, with the University of Virginia, was easily won by a score of 7 to 0, Virginia being able to get only one man past second base. The team played well together, the batting was good and the base-running showed improvement over recent games. In bunting, however, the men showed unusual weakness. Loughlin made four brilliant catches in centre-field in addition to a two-base hit. Coolidge at shortstop fielded his position without an error, and Fincke made three base-hits in four times at the bat. Stillman pitched a strong game, using good judgment and giving Virginia only five scattered hits.

The score and summary: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Loughlin, c.f.  5  1  2  4  0  0 J. Clark, 1b.  4  2  1  5  0  0 Reid, c.  3  1  0  9  0  0 Fincke, 2b.  4  1  3  4  4  1 G. Clark, 3b.  5  0  2  0  1  0 Coolidge, s.s.  5  1  1  2  3  0 Wendell, r.f.  5  0  0  2  0  0 Jaynes, l.f.  4  0  0  1  0  0 Stillman, p.  5  1  2  0  1  0 Totals,  40  7  11  27  9  1 VIRGINIA.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Walker, 3b.  5  0  2  1  2  0 Stearns, s.s.  3  0  0  0  3  1 Summersgill, p.  3  0  1  1  2  1 Downing, 1b.  4  0  0  10  0  3 Nalle, c.  4  0  0  4  0  0 Rea, c.f.  4  0  1  0  0  0 Mallory, 2b.  2  0  0  2  3  2 Pinkerton, l.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0 Timberlee, r.f.  4  0  1  2  0  0 Totals,  33  0  5  22  10  7

Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard,  1  1  0  3  0  0  0  2  --7

Two-base hits -- Loughlin, Stillman, Walker, Rea. Stolen base--J. D. Clark. First base on balls--By Stillman 4, by Summersgill 5. Struck out--By Stillman 7, by Summersgill 5.

The practice game which was scheduled with the Baltimore Country Club for Wednesday afternoon was also postponed on account of rain. A game was arranged, however, in place of the regular afternoon work, with the Washington Y. M. C. A.