Freshmen Defeated.

The Freshman nine was defeated in a well played game yesterday afternoon by the Cambridge High and Latin School, by a score of 4 to 0. The chief cause of the defeat was poor batting by the entire team; but one hit was made, and the ball was seldom knocked out of the infield. Coonley, who pitched, has had little practice, but did fairly well and with good support would probably have won his game. Neither Bartlett nor Marean caught satisfactorily, both throwing poorly and dropping many pitched balls. Foster, at first base, was also weak in fielding and at times showed poor judgment. Story and Van Amringe, at third base and shortstop, did well, but Jackson, at second base, was weak on thrown balls and made a bad fielding error. In the outfield, Clarkson did fairly well, Comins fielded his position satisfactorily except for one bad error, and his throw to the plate in the eighth inning was the feature of the game. Dever had no chances in the field, but at bat he was weak.

The Cambridge team played a good all-round game and F. Clarkson's pitching was especially good.

The score by innings is as follows: Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  runs.  b.h.  e. C. H. and L.  1  0  0  0  1  0  1  0  1  4  5  2 Freshmen,  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  5

Batteries--Coonley, Bartlett and Marean; F. Clarkson and McGirr.

This afternoon at 4 o'clock the Freshmen will play Dean Academy on Soldiers Field. Clarkson will pitch and although Dean has a very good team, Harvard's chances are good. The batting order will be as follows: Freshmen.  Dean. Dever, r.f.  c., Smith. Jackson, 2b.  p., Norvell. Clarkson, p.  s.s., Toiles. Story, 3b.  3b., Jenness. Comins, l.f.  r.f., Clough. Bartlett, c.  2b., Siveatt. Black, c.f.  1b., Kochersperger. Van Amringe, s.s.  c.f., Thompson. Foster, Lancy, 1b.  l.f., Dallinger.