Soldiers Field Track.

The new track on Soldiers Field has been built on a plan far in advance of the old one on Holmes Field. The essential difference lies in the introduction of easement curves. The old track has a uniform are at either end, the whole curve being on the same radius. This radius is so short that the sudden pronounced change from straight-away to turn exerts a detrimental effect upon the gait and speed of the runner. In the new track this difficulty has been removed by the introduction of a gradual transition curve in the approach at either end. This transition curve is in three tangent area, each twenty feet in length. The radius of the first is three hundred and eighty two feet, thus making the departure from the straight-away very gradual. In the second, the radius is shortened to one hundred and ninety-one feet, making the curve a trifle greater. In the third, the radius is again shortened to one hundred and twenty-seven feet, and this arc joins the final curve, the radius of which is ninety-five and one-half feet. The main curve then runs around the end without change of radius and joins the straight-away. The question why these easement curves are introduced only on approaching the ends, and not on leaving them is answered by the fact that runners feel the bad effects of the change only on approaching.

Another improvement over the Holmes Field track is the two hundred and twenty yard straightaway. This has been made on the south side by prolonging the west end two hundred and eight-five feet and the east end seventy-six. It has also been proposed to prolong the west end of the north side sufficiently to enable the quarter-mile to be run with only one turn by starting at the beginning of the two hundred and twenty yard straightaway. But this change will probably not be made, since it would place the finish of the race at an extreme corner of the field where it could be seen by only a few of the spectators.