BOSTON COLLEGE TODAY.

First Baseball Game of the Season.--Criticism of the Team.

The baseball team will play its first game today with Boston College at 3 o'clock on Soldiers Field. The diamond, though a little soft, is in good condition and will furnish every opportunity for fast play. Captain Reid will not play on account of a sore leg and Milne will take his place as catcher. The pitching will be done by MacDonald, Kernan and possibly Stillman. Every man on the squad will be given a chance to play at some time during the game. The make-up of the two teams will be as follows: Harvard.  Boston College. Loughlin, c.f.  c.f., Hart. J. D. Clark, 1b.  2b., McDermott. Ewer, r.f.  r.f., Colpeys, Kiley. George, 2b.  l.f., Flaherty. G. C. Clark, 3b.  c., Butler. Coolidge, s.s.  1b., Henley. Wendell, l.f.  s.s., Ryan. Milne, c.  3b., Waldron, Trainer. MacDonald, p.  p., Donovan.

The first and second teams played a five inning game yesterday, which resulted in a victory for the second by a score of 11 7. The men of both nines were unable to make hits off Stillman and Kernan, but Woodbury and Macdonald were hit hard and gave many bases on balls. The fielding was ragged at times and wild throwing was much in evidence.

The work of the men for the past ten day has been faithful and consistent and has shown steady improvement. Both the throwing and fielding are unusually good for this time of the year, but the weakness in batting remains.

Of the pitchers, Coburn, MacDonald, Stillman, and Kernan are the most promising. Coburn has been laid up for some time with a sore thumb and little can be said of his work. Stillman and Kernan have both been pitching well lately and have good control, but Kernad is more active. MacDonald, though wild at times, is steadily improving.

The sickness of Kendall leaves Clark the only candidate for first base. The latter lacks experience and is not eager enough in going after wild throws. His batting would be good if it were not for the fact that his inexperience makes him impatient. He shows willingness to learn and is improving.

At second, Fincke is still out of the game, owing to sickness. George's fielding would make him a very strong candidate, were it not for his weak throwing. His batting is promising. Keene is quicker and is improving but lacks experience and batting ability. Putnam's work in the field is by far the best, but his batting is erratic and all his playing shows a want of steadiness.

Of the candidates for shortstop. Devens is a fair fielder but is slow and has poor judgement. An awkwardness in fielding combined with a slight weakness in throwing offset Wheelock's excellent judgement and stick-work. Coolidge is the most promising candidate and is one of the best fielders on the team. His throwing and batting, though good, are not quite up to his fielding; but he has a thorough knowledge of the game.

Third base is not as strong as short-stop. Ewer, who is also a promising candidate for the outfield, throws, fields, and bats well. He shows good judgement, but is hampered at third by being left handed. Both Clay and G. C. Clark throw and bat well, but are slow. Clay is besides stiff and his head work is poor, while Clark's is very good.

The positions in the field are more uncertain and will depend in a large measure on the batting. Loughlin shows far more judgment and does better fielding work than any of the others, though his throwing is rather weak. In batting he fails to pick the ball cleanly off the bat. Jaynes lacks experience and is weak in flies that come over his head, but he is improving in batting. Christenson's work, though fair, needs activity and life. Stewart is another one of the men who are constantly improving as they gain more experience. His work on the bases is very promising and his weakness in fielding is partly made up for by his good throwing.