THE DUAL MEET

A Close Contest Expected.--Games Will be Held at 3 o'clock.

The track games between Harvard and Yale will be held this afternoon at 3 o'clock on Soldiers field. The silver trophy cup presented to the dual league by Walter Camp '80 and Henry S. Brooks '86 of Yale, and Wendell Baker '86 and G. B. Morison '83 of Harvard, on condition that it should become the permanent property of the college winning it five out of nine times, was won last year by Harvard by a score of five times to three. This year another similar cup has been presented by the same donors and is to be contested for under the same conditions.

The teams this year are very evenly matched and a remarkably close contest is expected. Both teams have been weakened by the loss of several of last year's point-winners, and both have discovered several promising new men. Harvard's most severe losses have been in the quarter and half-mile. Though prediction in track games is always uncertain on account of weather and track conditions and the doubtful qualities of new men, there is enough evidence from the records of the dual meet of last year and those of the spring meets at both colleges this year to show that the contest will be the closest in years, with the chances in favor of Harvard.

The 100 yards dash promises to be a very close race between Haigh of Harvard and Richards, Blount and Gleason of Yale. Blunt and Gleason have done 10 1-5s. and Richards 10 2-5s., while Haigh, a new man, has done close to 10s. repeatedly this spring and should win, the other places going to the Yale men. The other Harvard entries are Butler, Sprague and Barnes.

The 220 yards dash will bring together Haigh of Harvard and Boardman of Yale. The latter has the better record and greater experience and should win handily. Clerk of Harvard should secure third place, though Richards and Gleason may be counted on to finish well up.

The 440 yards dash will doubtless go to Yale, as Boardman has done under 50s., which is far ahead of anything the Harvard men have done. Clerk and Gleason, in case he enters, should finish second and third, respectively.

The 880 yards run will probably fall to H. P. Smith of Yale, who has done close to 1m. 56s. Bush and Applegate of Harvard should make a good race against Poynter and Thomas of Yale for second and third places.

The mile run should be won by Harvard, since Clark and Knowles are both expected to finish under 4m. 34s. The fight for third place will be between Weston of Yale and Swan of Harvard.

Harvard should win all three places in the two mile run. Foote, Richardson and Blakemore should finish in the order named. They have all been doing close to 10m., while Waldron and Teel of Yale have not done under 10m. 20s.

Probably the closest race of the day will be the 120 yards hurdles between Hallowell of Harvard and Fincke of Yale. Both have run in 16s., and each has a victory over the other to his credit. Thomas, the Yale freshman, should get third, with Willis Harvard well up.

The 220 yards hurdles should go to Hallowell of Harvard in good time. Willis and Warren of Harvard are expected to beat out Thomas of Yale.

In the field events Harvard should win the first two places in the high jump, with Rice and Rotch very close. Ellis of Harvard and Duval and smith of Yale will fight it out for third place.

The hammer throw is very much in doubt. Stillman, of Yale, has been so erratic in his work that it is difficult to tell just what he will do. Boal of Harvard has greater experience and steadiness, and has thrown 144 feet repeatedly during the past week. He should secure first place, with Stillman second and Brown of Harvard third.

The shot put is conceded to Beck of Yale, whose work has averaged about 43 feet. Ellis of Harvard and Francis of Yale should get second and third respectively.

Harvard has been generally conceded all the points in the broad jump, as Daly, shirk, Ristine and Harris have all cleared 22 feet or more, while the Yale men have as yet failed to cover 21 feet. But both Daly and Ristine are suffering from injuries which will necessitate their taking off with the wrong foot, and will probably shorten their distances considerably. Ellsworth of Yale may therefore get a place.

In the pole vault Yale should win all three places, with Johnson, Adriance and Hord in the order names. Hoyt of Harvard has not been able this year to approach his old time form, and Prouty is suffering from a lame ankle. The latter may, however, secure a place, as his work has improved great over that of last year.

Following are the drawings for heats and positions.

100 Yards Dash. First three men qualify.

First heat--Richards Y., Gleason Y., Haigh H., Harris H., Sprague H.

Second heat--Blount Y., Butler H., Bernstein H., Barnes H.

220 Yards Dash. First three men qualify for final.

First heat--Richards Y., Gleason Y., Clerk H., Butler H., Winslow H.

Second heat.--Dean H., Haigh H., Lightner H., Boardman Y.

120 Yards Hurdles. First two men qualify for finals.

First heat--Fincke Y., Hallowell H., Abercrombie H.

Second heat--Thomas Y., Willis H., Webb H.

220 Yards Hurdles. First two men qualify for final.

First heat--Willis H., Warren H., Thomas Y.

Second heat--Hallowell H., Hubbard H., Mead Y.

440 Yards Run--Yale pole.

880 Yards Run--Yale pole.

One Mile Run--Harvard pole.

Two Mile run--Harvard pole.

High Jump--Harvard man jumps first.

Putting the Shot--Yale man goes first.

Broad Jump--Harvard man jumps first.

Throwing the Hammer--Yale throws first.

Pole Vault--Yale vaults first.