The Memorial Service.

Memorial Day service were held in Sanders Theatre yesterday, under the auspices of the Harvard Memorial Society. The Hon. John Read of the class of '62, delivered the oration. He spoke in part as follows:

During the spring of 1861, a visitor in Cambridge might frequently have seen companies of Harvard men drilling on the Delta where Memorial Hall now stands. They were there because the country was in need of help; because every brave man was eager for a part in the work that had to be done; and it' in memory of those who bore their p at the cost of life that we meet here day.

Year after year we have come to that we might honor the men who while striving to save the Union after year, the number of their comrades grows less; yet the thought awakened by the remembrance of deeds become more precious with succeeding Memorial Day. We can see more clearly the sacrifices the made without complaint, to fee deeply the grand lesson taught by hall. The names which are carved on the walls deserve greater honor than ever be rendered to them; but such our tribute is, we give it gladly and from full hearts.

Bright though our memories on the dead should be, when we think of the qualities that made them what they were, there are times when to many these thoughts can only bring sadness. The early days of the war were full of doubt and terrible anxiety for all; and as the struggle went on, the suffering and bloodshed increased month by month. Through it all, the men who had left Harvard to join the army were found wherever courage and patriotism were most needed. The spirit they showed at that time exists in no less measure today, for it is the inheritance of Harvard, and will always be part of her teaching. It was not wanting two years ago when other men of this University offered their lives to their country because they felt it to be their duty. To them and to the men of earlier times equal honor is due.