Yale and Princeton Baseball.

On the southern trip the Yale team won three games and lost three. In general the batting was fair and the fielding weak, except in the game with the University of Virginia, which Yale played without an error. The men played well individually but the team work was not good. Of the pitchers, Robertson was the most effective and Garvan did fairly well. McKelvey had good control but was hit hard. Sullivan's catching was excellent and he was strong in throwing to bases. Cunha was given several chances behind the bat and did fairly good work. Captain Camp led the team in batting and played a snappy game in the field, though he is charged with several errors. Sharpe played first base in all the games and is steadily improving both at the bat and in the field. Quinby, third baseman on last year's team, is playing a good game at second and, next to Camp, did the best work with the bat. Brown covered third base satisfactorily and played a brilliant game against the University of Maryland. The outfielders, Guernsey, Barnwell and Lyon, at first showed a tendency to be slow in starting and did not cover much ground, but they improved considerably and played good baseball in the last games of the trip. Their batting was not so strong as that of the infielders.

In the first game of the trip, played on April 11, Yale beat Fordham by a score of 10 to 7. Fordham gained a lead at the start, but after two innings Robertson settled down and the Yale men began to bat harder, winning without any difficulty. The next day Yale lost to Georgetown by 7 to 4 through inability to hit White. On the 13th Yale won a loosely played game from the University of Maryland, 10 to 8. Maryland made thirteen hits to Yale's eight, but lost the game by making nine errors. The best played game on the trip was that with Boston at Norfolk, Va. Robertson pitched well for six innings and Yale was in the lead when he left the box, but Boston bunched hits on Garvan, and won the game by 7 to 6. On the 16th Yale played an errorless game against the University of Virginia, winning by 8 to 7 though outbatted by the home team. Garvan pitched well for five innings but weakened, and, when the game seemed in danger, gave place to Robertson, who did excellent work. Yale lost the last game of the trip to Georgetown by 6 to 5 on April 17. Yale played well in the field but could not hit Blewett after the third inning.

The work of the Princeton team on the Southern trip was not at all brilliant but was very satisfactory. One of the most encouraging features of the trip was the excellent showing of the new infielders Pearson, Steinwender and Meier, who together made half the hits credited to the team, and also played a steady game in the field, Steinwender and Meier going through the four games without an error. Hillebrand was very effective in the box and gives promise of coming up to his old form. Scott, who pitched on last year's team, and Young, a post-graduate student who pitched for Cornell last year, did good work but were not so steady as Hillebrand.

Rain prevented the game scheduled with the Philadelphia National League team on April 12. On the 13th Princeton lost to the Boston team at Washington by a score of 13 to 5. On the 14th Princeton defeated Georgetown, 6 to 3, in a ten-inning game. The game was a pitchers' battle between Hillebrand and White, both of whom were very effective until the latter weakened in the tenth inning. In the second game, played on April 14, Georgetown batted out four runs in the last inning, winning by 8 to 5. The next day Princeton defeated University of Virginia by 9 to 3. Hillebrand pitched well, shutting Virginia out until the ninth inning, when the home team scored on well timed hits and Princeton's errors.