The Prospect Union.

Under the direction of L. G. Moore, weekly excursions will be made from the Prospect Union throughout the summer, to various points of interest about Boston. Trips have already been taken to Franklin Park, Spy Pond, Revere Beach and Norumbega Park. It is planned to take a party to the Navy Yard, where they will inspect the grounds and ships with the help of an officer who has agreed to explain whatever is necessary about the equipments and management of the Navy Yard.

Although no definite list of courses for next year has yet been made, there are several changes that are being considered. Most important of these relates to the Civil Service examinations. Heretofore the classes at prospect Union have made no special aim of preparing men to take these examinations; but next year the work will be so directed as to fill the government requirements in the different branches of the service. This plan is sure to increase the value of many of the courses, as well as the attendance, for by it the men are given a more practical goal to work for than the advantages of general culture. With the same object in view, it is possible that the number of courses will be reduced, those of an impractical nature being omitted; and an effort will be made to make the popular courses, such as typewriting, shorthand and arithmetic, more interesting than they have been before.

The introduction of manual training is also being considered, with the possibility of having apparatus installed in the basement. Such a scheme, however, would involve a complete reorganization of the Union, since at present no provision is made for children, for whom such a course would be primarily adapted. This fact makes any definite decision about the matter impossible for some time to come.