Lecture on Holland.

Mr. Albert E. Fowler, of Boston, spoke in the Fogg lecture Room last night on "Great Little Holland." Mr. Fowler's lecture was illustrated by nearly a hundred stereopticon views made from pictures taken in Holland last summer. These sliders, many of which were colored by Miss Katharine Breed, were all exceptionally artistic in the skillfully chosen points of view from which the original photographs were taken.

Mr. Fowler began his lecture with a short historical account of Holland, the part the country played in sheltering and training the pilgrims who first settled in New England, and the assistance the nation afterwards rendered to the American colonies in the Revolution. Then passing to the physical characteristics of the country itself, Mr. Fowler described the Dutch windmills, the Dutch boats and bridges and canals, the people themselves and their characteristics and, lastly, the great dykes that alone save the country from the ocean. He spoke also of the stories of Philip II and William of Orange, the wars of Holland against France and Spain, and the wonderful siege of Leyden.

Mr. Fowler's account of the work of the great Dutch painters was appreciative, and was illustrated by some of the most beautiful pictures of his collection.