COLUMBIA GAME TODAY.

Most Important Game So Far This Year, Practice Yesterday Slow

The eleven will play Columbia this afternoon at 8 o'clock on Soldiers Field.

The Columbia team has been slow in developing this year owing to the disqualification, early in the season of six of the most prominent players because of failure to comply with Columbia's athletic regulations. All these men except Berrien and Henriquez, have recently complied with the requirements and will play in the game today. This, together with the fact that the team has played no game since the one with Williams last Saturday, should make the game closer than Columbia's scores so far this year would indicate. It is expected that the faculty will decide on Berrien's eligibility in time for the game this afternoon. Should he be declared eligible he will take Dougherty's place at fullback. The Columbia team started this year with six of last year's players as a nucleus, but the games played so far do not give any indication of Columbia's strength, as in no one of the games was the strongest team played. If Berrien plays today, Columbia will use the same backs as in last year's game with the exception of Syke, whose place is filled by B. Boyeson, last year's substitute quarter. In the line the men who played last year are Bruce at center, Smythe at left tackle, and Van Hoevenburgh at right end. The other linemen are heavy and have had considerable experience. The only basis of comparison this year between Harvard and Columbia is the game with Williams. Harvard defeated Williams 12 to 0, and last Saturday Columbia defeated the same team 5 to 0.

The line-up: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Burgess, Clark, r.e.  l.e., A. Boyeson Randolph, Blagden, r.t.  l.t., Smythe Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Ache Sargent, c.  c., Bruce Riggs, l.g.  r.g., Shaw Graydon, Lawrence, l.t.  r.t., Irvine Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Van Hoevenburgh Matthews, Marshall, q.b.  q.b., B. Boyeson Ristine, Swann, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Weekes Putnam, Derby, Kernan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Morley Mifflin, Meier, f.b.  f.b., Dougherty, Berrien

The practice yesterday was light. The first team lined up and went through signal practice and then played two halves of ten and eight minutes against the second. The playing was slow and listless. The backs did not start quickly and did not play with any snap or dash. The interference either formed late or did not form at all. The linemen were slow in charging and lacked aggressiveness.

Roberts played a lively game and got into the plays in good style. J. D. Clark and O. F. Cooper were out today for the first time. G. A. Lyon, who played quarterback on Iowa State College two years ago, was also out. Baldwin, Robinson, Cutts, Hovey and Bowditch will probably not be able to play today on account of slight injuries. Eaton reported yesterday and will most likely be able to practice on Monday.

In the line-up between the two elevens the first secured one touchdown after a few minutes of play. Putnam kicked goal. The first was unable to do any further scoring.

The line-up: 1ST ELEVEN.  2ND ELEVEN. Motley, Clark, r.e.  l.e., Hutchinson Randolph, Lawrence, Wright, r.t.  l.t., Frost, Oveson Barnard, r.g.  l.g., O'Connell Sargent, c.  c., Roberts Riggs, Hovey, l.g.  r.g., Green Graydon, l.t.  r.t., Fox Campbell, Littig, l.e.  r.e., Holwill Matthews, Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Parker Ristine, Swann, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Kerans Putnam, Derby, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Greenough Mifflin, f.b.  f.b., Surtzer