HARVARD, 18; COLUMBIA, 0.

Best Playing So Far This Year-Offside Play Mars Otherwise Fast Work.

Harvard defeated Columbia on Saturday, 18 to 0. The score does not fully represent the superiority of Harvard, as fumbling and interference twice prevented scoring, once in the first half on Columbia's seven yard line and again in the second half on Columbia's 15 yard line. The first was the better of the two halves from a Harvard standpoint, as in it Columbia secured the ball only twice and neither time could make the necessary distance. In the second half Columbia twice advanced the ball for first downs and also held Harvard for downs on Columbia's 15 yard line.

The most noticeable feature of the game was the end running of the backs and the rapid and effective formation of the interference. The backs started quickly, followed their interference accurately and used their arms to good advantage in warding off tacklers. The linemen, however, were slow in charging and played offside too much. In the first half they could open holes only for small gains, and in the second were unable to make any appreciable openings and often allowed their opponents to break through. The ends got into the interference quickly and on end plays boxed the tackles successfully.

Of the backs Putnam played the most brilliant and effective game, advancing the ball in the first half a total of 120 yards. Mifflin hit the line hard and managed to get through for gains even where the linemen had failed to make openings. Ristine gained considerable ground, but did not follow his interference as closely as he might, and was several times tackled from behind for a loss. Kernan, who took Putnam's place, was unsteady in starting, but, nevertheless, succeeded in making several good gains. His fumble of the ball near Columbia's 15 yard line lost a good chance to score. His punting, with one exception, was excellent. One punt of 70 yards against the wind was especially noteworthy. Matthews at quarter played a careful and active game, and used good judgment in directing plays, especially in the first half. At end Motley played an aggressive and reliable game, getting under all the plays, twice securing the ball on fumbles, and by his interference making possible the gains around his end. On running down under punts he was not as sure as Campbell. Campbell had a stronger man opposite him than had Motley; so the gains around his end were not very great, the interference being usually broken up by Morley. On the defense he succeeded in stopping all plays around his end, and several times tackled the Columbia runners for losses. Randolph wrenched his knee early in the game and Lawrence took his place. The latter was not steady and was responsible for a loss of 10 yards by offside play when the ball was on Columbia's 15 yard line. Barnard, Riggs and Hovey were unable to do more than hold their own with the men opposite them. Graydon at left tackle was a little uncertain, but made the best openings of any of the linemen.

Columbia kicked off to Graydon who advanced the ball 20 yards. Ristine made 25 yards around left end and Putnam followed by 17 yards around right end. On the next play Smythe broke through Randolph and tackled the runner for a loss. Mifflin then punted to the seven yard line. Columbia gained a yard through right tackle, but Campbell tackled Weekes on the next play for a loss of five yards. Morley punted to Putnam. Short gains by Mifflin, Putnam and Ristine brought the ball to the 16 yard line. Putnam went outside right tackle for 12 yards. On the next play Columbia lost two yards for offside play. Ristine then secured a touchdown, Putnam kicking goal. Campbell ran the next kick-off back 15 yards. End runs by Putnam and short gains by Mifflin and Ristine brought the ball to the 25 yard line. Putnam went around right-end for 17 yards, but on the next play fumbled the ball and Columbia got it. Failing to gain, Morley punted to the 38 yard line. After a short gain by Ristine, Putnam made two runs around right end of 11 and 24 yards, bringing the ball within a yard of the goal. Mifflin carried it over, and Putnam kicked goal. On the next kick-off Campbell carried the ball back 30 yards. Time was then called.

Harvard kicked off to Goodman who advanced the ball 20 yards. Columbia gained through the line and secured five yards for interference. On the next play Harvard stopped Columbia's hurdling formation without gain, and Morley punted. The ball rolled over Harvard's goal line and on the kick-out Kernan punted 70 yards. Morley returned the punt on the next play. Kernan punted again. Failing to gain, Morley fell back to punt, but the pass went over his head and rolled to the 35 yard line. On the next play the ball was fumbled, and Motley secured it. Three runs by Kernan around right end netted 27 yards. Ristine gained through left tackle, but Harvard lost 10 yards for Lawrence's interference, and Columbia got the ball on downs. Weeks made eight yards around right end. Motley again secured the ball on a fumble on the 20 yard line. Gains by Ristine and Kernan brought the ball to the five yard line, whence Ristine carried it over for a touchdown. Time was called soon after with the ball on Columbia's 40 yard line.

The line-up: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Motley, r.e.  l.e., A. Boyeson, Wolff Randolph, Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Smythe Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Ache Greene, Sargent, c.  c., Bruce Riggs, Hovey, l.g.  r.g., Shaw, Lencon Graydon, Blagden, Wright, l.t.  r.t., Irvine Campbell, l.e.  r.e., VanHoevenburg Matthews, q.b.  q.b., B. Boyeson, Goodman Ristine, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Weekes Putnam, Kernan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Morley Mifflin, f.b.  f.b., Fischer, A. Boyeson

Score, Harvard, 18; Columbia, 0. Touchdowns, Ristine 2, Mifflin. Goals from touchdowns, Putnam 2, Kernan. Umpire, Paul Dashiell. Referee, Deland. Timekeeper, Wood. Linesmen, Hallowell, Harvard; Wolff, Columbia. Time, two 15 minute halves.