Debating Courses.

The English department offers three courses in debating, which are of great value to all men who are interested in the subject.

The most elementary of the three is English 18, "The Forms of Public Address," which is open to an unlimited number of Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. The aim of this course, as its name signifies, is to study the forms of public address. There is no actual speaking in the course, but every student is required to draw up two briefs, and to write five manuscripts of 1000-1500 words, two of which must be arguments. The choice of topics for the other three manuscripts and their treatment will largely be left to the discretion of each student, but it is expected that he give himself practice in eulogy, the after-dinner speech, and the platform or commemorative address.

English 10, "Public Speaking," is intended for students somewhat advanced in platform speaking, although an elementary section has been added to the course to suit the needs of inexperienced men. The work consists in the study and rendering of model public addresses, and in the delivery of the students' original compositions. Each member of the course delivers a formal speech once in two weeks and more frequently opportunity for impromptu speaking is given. Brief written exercises are required from time to time, and conferences may be appointed by the instructor. The course may be taken in the Sophomore year or later, and should precede English 30, the most advanced course of the series.

English 30 is a course in actual debating, and consequently has usually been limited to thirty six men. Should the number of applicants warrant it, however, a second section will be formed. In this course each man debates three times at least, and is expected to draw up carefully prepared briefs. Except with the consent of the instructor, course 30 is open to Juniors and Seniors only.

In addition to these courses, there will be voluntary classes, which will be duly announced, for elementary and advanced work in public speaking and reading. Mr. Copeland has also conducted for the past four years a Law School Debating Club, which has as its object the practice of informal and extemporaneous speaking.