HARVARD, 6; WEST POINT, 0.

Kernan Runs Fifty Yards for a Touchdown in Last Minute of Play.

Harvard defeated West Point Saturday, 6 to 0, scoring a single touchdown forty seconds before the end of the game. In spite of a great advantage in weight and experience the Harvard team did no more than hold its own, and at no time seriously threatened West Point's goal. During both halves the play was in mid-field, and neither side could gain consistently. West Point made first down only once, on a fake kick, and Harvard's total gain by rushes, aside from Kernan's run, amounted to less than thirty-five yards. In only one respect, punting, did Harvard have the advantage. A total lack of team play was the chief of Harvard's many faults, and this was so apparent that it would have been inexcusable in the first game of the season. The plays were run off in a slipshod fashion with no concerted action in starting. On line plays the backs straggled into the holes in a hesitating way that put no force into the attack, and on end runs, with one exception, formed no interference. On the offense the line was slow, and neither opened holes nor helped the runners. On the defense the men did as well as usual, but this made up in no way for the unusual weakness of the attack.

Individual criticism is of little value, for the team as a whole made no pretence at co-operation. Barnard, Greene and Roberts were all clearly outplayed by weaker and lighter opponents, and were of no use to the backs. Cutts was stronger than his opponent, but was so slow that he could open no holes. Blagden, however, played a faster game than usual. He charged fiercely and tackled runners for losses twice. Both tackles were failures in the tackles-back formation. Campbell and Clark were very slow in getting down under punts, and on the offence were unable to afford any interference. They were as reliable as usual on the defence. Matthews showed the worst form of the season at quarterback. Besides running off the plays in a listless, uncertain way, he fumbled five passes from the centre and was unable to steady the team for offensive work. Kernan and Ristine did not keep their feet, but their failure to gain was partially due to the weakness of the rest of the team. Graydon and Mifflin were equally ineffective at line plunging, both of them falling usually at the first obstacle. Kernan showed some improvement in punting, and gained on every exchange, even when the wind was against him. His punts, however, were too low to allow the ends to get under them.

C. D. Daly '01 was of great value to West Point. Aside from the ground he gained on running back punts, he ran his team in a masterly fashion and kept all the men steadied down to their best playing. His failure to tackle Kernan in a clear field, however, gave Harvard the touchdown.

The first half was evenly contested, but uninteresting. After Harvard's kick-off Daly punted to Kernan who ran the ball, from Harvard's 25 yard line to midfield. Two plunges gained five yards, but after a fumble Kernan was forced to punt. Daly caught it on West Point's five yard line. Failing to gain, West Point punted to the 50 yard line. Harvard then lost the ball for holding, but regained it on downs. An exchange of punts then gave Harvard the ball on West Point's 25 yard line. After three short plunges by Ristine and Kernan, Matthews lost the ball on a fumble on the 15 yard line. A short punt by Daly gave Harvard the ball on the 20 yard line, but West Point held for downs. Daly punted out of danger, and time was called.

The second half started with a series of punts which ended with Harvard's ball in the centre of the field. Harvard was held for downs and then both sides made a few short gains followed by punts, but the ball was kept constantly in mid-field. Near the end of the game Daly tried a fake kick around Campbell's end and gained eight yards, making the only first down for West Point in the game. On the next play Harvard got the ball on a fumble on West Point's 50 yard line. With forty seconds left to play Kernan was sent around right end. For the first time in the game fast, compact interference was formed and Kernan passed the West Point linemen. He shook off Daly's tackle and then had a clear field for a touchdown. Cutts kicked goal. Time was called directly after the kick-off. The line-up: HARVARD.  WEST POINT. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Bartlett Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Bunker Greene, Riggs, l.g.  r.g., Goodspeed Roberts, c.  c., Munroe Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Riley Cutts, r.t.  l.t., Boyers Clark, r.e.  l.e., Farnsworth Matthews, q.b.  q.b., Daly Kernan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Jenswold Ristine, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Casad Graydon, Mifflin, f.b.  f.b., Graves

Score--Harvard 6, WestPoint 0. Touchdown--Kernan. Goal from touchdown--Cutts. Umpire--Dr. Stauffer. Referee--L. F. Deland. Timekeeper--Mitchell. Time--15 minute halves.