PRESIDENT ELIOT'S ADDRESS.

Bicentennial Letter of Congratulation--The President's Speech.

President Eliot responded to President Hadley's welcome with the following congratulatory address, a copy of which, engrossed on parchment and with the Harvard seal appended in the ancient fashion, he formally presented:

"To Yale University, honored teacher of American youth, Harvard University, her oldest comrade, sends by our lips and this writing, friendliest greeting and a hearty welcome to the third century of their common service.

"The happy festival to which we, the delegates from Harvard University, have been bidden, is marked not only by the loyalty and affection of your assembled graduates, whose offerings of scholarly and material wealth will celebrate the day, but by the congratulations and good wishes of all lovers of learning, zealous workers in one cause, who, giving you full honor, share your achievements and make your hopes their own.

"Given at Cambridge, Massachusetts, on the fourteenth day of October, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and one. (Signed)   "CHARLES W. ELIOT,   "HENRY L. HIGGINSON,   "WOLCOTT GIBBS,   "CHARLES ELIOT NORTON,   "WILLIAM W. GOODWIN, [SEAL] "JAMES BRADLEY THAYER,   "J. COLLINS WARREN."

President Eliot followed the reading of the address of congratulation with these words, spoken on behalf of the Eastern Colleges and Universities, and of the educational world in general:

"It is a privilege, Mr. President, to bring this salutation from Harvard to Yale on such a memorable occasion; but I count it a much higher privilege, in response to the invitation of your executive committee, and to your own cordial welcome, to say a few words as an old servant of American education and a representative of the private endowed colleges and universities of the East.

"The Harvard letter speaks of sharing Yale's achievements and her hopes. Let me try in briefest fashion to describe those achievements and hopes.

"The human would has been made over since Yale was founded. She antedates the accepted basal ideas of existing civilized governments and their actual forms, whether called empire, monarchy or republic; she antedates all professions except the ministry and the law, and all the implements of labor and transportation in modernized countries. One may fairly say that since she came into being all the learned and scientific professions have been created, or recreated; for the ministry and the law have been so transformed as to be almost new professions. Moreover, industrial, agricultural, and social conditions have so changed that not a man or woman in our broad country now works in the same way or to the same results as men and women worked in 1700. Not a soldier or a sailor fights today in the least as soldiers and sailors fought when Yale was born. Most vital change of all, a new spirit animates the corporeal mass of civilized society--the pervasive, aggressive, all-modifying spirit of Christian democracy.

"Now the achievements of Yale may be summed up in one sentence: For six generations she has in the main kept pace, not without some natural conservative hesitations, with this prodigious development of modern society, and, for America, has sometimes led the way,--notably in New England theology, in exact science, and in fitting young men for the new scientific professions; and today she sends into the service of commerce, the industries, government, and the professions, young men filled with the ideals of brotherhood, unity, and freedom, and so trained that they can promote these sacred ideals.

"And what must be the hopes of Yale? To enrich, adorn, and make happier and more abundant the life of the nation and of every individual in it, to make the forces of nature contribute more and more to the welfare of man, to so purify and strengthen democracy as to establish it in all Christian countries, and to call the American people in ever clearer tones to that righteousness which alone can exalt a nation.

"In these achievements and hopes every American school, college and university shares. The work of public education is one. The whole body of American teachers would say to Yale University at this her festival--Well done, and go forward!"