First Harvard Christian Association Meeting.

The first regular meeting of the Harvard Christian Association was held in Phillips Brooks House at 7 o'clock last evening. F. R. Cope '01 led the meeting, and took as a text the words spoken by Peter to the beggar at the Temple in Jerusalem: "Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I unto thee." The speaker rapidly reviewed the privileges offered to men at Harvard, the responsibilities which are connected with those privileges, and the duty of men to discharge those responsibilities as best they may; to give, if not the "silver and gold" of high attainment and capacity, at least the best service in their power. Individualism, carried to excess, is a danger of the Harvard elective system, and becomes an evil when men so far lose themselves in the struggle for personal advancement as to neglect the duties of help and influence they owe the men around them.

After the meeting an informal reception was held in Brooks House parlor, at which representatives from the various religious societies were present to explain their work.

Most of the activities connected with the Christian Association have either begun work again or will begin shortly. The sailors' reading-room on T. Wharf is open, and the children's reading-room in East Cambridge will be reopened on Oct. 15. The first of the religious services for the year in the Boston Industrial Home and West End Mission will be held on Tuesday night, Oct. 8. The special Bible classes will be organized next Wednesday night, after a meeting which will be addressed by Henry B. Wright, Yale '98. For the present a brief Bible study meeting, led by O. G. Frantz '02, is held in the Brooks House parlor at 8.15 each week-day morning, and at noon on Sunday.