SATURDAY, DEC. 14, 1901.

Before the Senior elections on Monday and Wednesday every man in 1902 should consider carefully the different men nominated for the class offices and their various qualifications for those offices, and since this can be done only when the qualifications are clearly understood, it may not be out of place to repeat them here.

The marshalships are, in the main, honorary positions, and ought to be given to the men that the Class considers most deserving of recognition. The first marshal presides at the Class Day exercises in Sanders Theatre.

The position of chorister would also seem to be almost entirely honorary in its nature, a distinction to be conferred by the Class.

The men most deserving of the speaking parts would seem to be those whose literary qualifications, so to speak, entitle them to their offices. In other words, the necessary qualifications would not seem to turn on the matter of individual ability, since these men will be judged on Class Day by their merits alone. The offices of poet and orator need for special explanation. The odist writes words to the metre of "Fair Harvard" and these words are sung to that tune at the close of the Class Day exercises. The ivy oration requires in the writer a fine vein of humor, of a more or less subtle sort.

Positions on the Class Day Committee and the Photographic Committee, While partly honorary in their nature, require energetic and responsible men, possessing a certain amount of business ability. This is especially true of the Class Day Committee, where a position carries with it an immense amount of work.

All the offices we have named above are temporary. In choosing the Secretary and the Class Committee, however, the class is selecting officers for all its future existence. The position of Secretary means a vast amount of conscientious work of a kind very nearly resembling drudgery, but on which the life of the class depends a great deal. The chairman of the Class Committee presides at all future class dinners. The other members of this committee with the secretary represent the class after graduation, and the character of the class as a unit depends largely on the character of these men.