CLASS CREWS BEGIN WORK.

No Head Coach Yet Appointed.--Ninety four Men Report.

The upper class crews began work at the University boat house, yesterday. The Newell crews were coached by Vail and the Weld by Donovan.

As has been the custom for the last three years, all the rowing men in the University will row for a while on the class squads and no attempt will be made to pick the University crew until after May 1. In each class there will be two crews, one at the Weld and one at the Newell. During the first week in April these pairs of eights will hold races to decide which shall be the regular class crew. The winners will enter the class races the following week together with a Law School crew. Owing to the proportionately small number of men rowing from the Law School, all of the candidates for this eight will train at one boat club so that, unlike the class crews, there will be but one crew picked.

All of the rowing men will get away for the first part of the spring recess, but a number of them will be called back early to form graded crews at both clubs. After a race between these eights in the last week of April, the University squad will be picked.

As yet, there is no head coach for the University crew; instead the coaching has been put jointly into the hands of E. C. Storrow '89, J. J. Storrow '85, G. S. Mumford '87, and D. M. Goodrich '98. Vail and Donovan will coach the men at the Newell and Weld respectively until after the race of the graded eights, although some of the captains of the six class crews may call in some graduates t assist.

At present all of the men are working on the machines at the University boathouse--the tank is not yet in order--but as soon as the ice in the river breaks up, the Weld boat-house will be opened and all the crews will go on the water.

The following men reported:

1901 Weld -- Evans, Brainerd, Burton, Blake, Hart, Wheelwright, Brewer, Haviland, Lovejoy, Burroughs.

1901 Newell -- Lawerence, Gerrish, Cunningham, Miffin, Drinkwater, Henderson, Brigham, Jackson, Shattuck, Hawkins, Swaim.

1902 Weld -- Bancroft, Covel, Goffin, Morse, Ells, Colby, Farlow, Sparrow, Aldrich, James, Seaver, Winter, Emery.

1902 Newell -- Brownell, Lewis, Fox, Morris, Smith, Gregg, Williams, Merritt, Dabney, Platt, Letchworth, Friedman.

1903 Weld -- Roberts, Perry, Piper, Cummings, Bent, DuBois, Bowditch, Streit, Adams, Peabody, Derby, Warner, Whitwell, Williams, Hale, Jones, Thornton, Maltby, Little, Appleton, George.

1903 Newell -- Ayer, Boardman, Loring, Hall, Switzer, Whiting, Stone, Crowell, Wolcott, Poor, Bryant, Safford, Haycock, Boylston, Percival, McGlensey, Bigelow, Peterson, Storer, Bean, Ames, Sprague, Clark, McGrew, Fox, Bard, Brown.