Anniversary Lampoon.

The special twenty-fifth anniversary issue of the Lampoon which appears today is made up for the most part of drawings, stories and poems selected from old numbers. These are well chosen, and, printed with the authors' names and the number of the volume in which they are found, they make an unusually entertaining number. Although some of the drawings are taken from very early volumes, they are not pointless, by any means, and some of them apply very well to the life of today. The "Manners and Customs of Ye Harvard Studente" by F. G. Attwood '79, make a set of pictures in which the author has caught the spirit of his scenes in a remarkably happy way. Other drawings, such as "Onr Portrait Gallery," are interesting more for the comparisons they suggest.

The shorter stories seem the better. "Our Visitors" and "Epitaph on a Maid-of-all-work" by H. W. Longfellow are especially good, "To a Drop of Fresh Pond Water" by Curtis Guild, Jr., '81, and "The Maiden's Gambit" by F. J. Stimson '76, show no signs of age except in the appended dates of their respective authors.

The editorial giving the history of the Lampoon is full of interest. Such facts as this: "Lampy has virtually given us Life, to say nothing of the New York Journal, whose prima donna was once on the Lampoon staff"--are all the more effective because they are so little known.

The cover, by F. G. Hall '03, is appropriate in subject, and attractively composed in colors and design. The centre-page drawing is much above the average in execution, though the idea of the composition would not have escaped the reader, even if it had not been emphasized on the first page, centre page, and editorial page. The use of color all through the number is very pleasing.