The Strength Test Championship.

Dr. D. A. Sargent has issued a detailed statement with regard to the controversy which has arisen about the respective claims of C. G. Herbert 1G and C. A. Carver, Yale 1900 to the intercollegiate strength-test championship. After discussing the Intercollegiate Strength Test Agreement, and quoting the rule prohibiting the use of belts, straps or harnesses or any description in taking the test, Dr. Sargent proceeds to apply the rules to the case in hand. The last paragraph of the statement is as follows:

"In regard to Mr. Carver's record of 2371.2 points which he is said to have made at Yale last June I can only state that no claim was made for him at that time by the gymnasium authorities of that institution. . . . The evidence that Mr. Carver did use 'straps' in making his record at Yale is so indisputable, that I am lost to know how to account for his denial of that fact. The most charitable view to take of the matter is that Mr. Carver thinks that the tests that he made at Yale and the test that Mr. Herbert made at Harvard were made according to 'the same system.' Unfortunately this is not true. At Yale the gymnasium authorities allow the use of 'straps' in the back and leg lifts which they have a perfect right to do, but the gymnasium authorities at Harvard and other institutions which have adopted the Intercollegiate Strength Test Agreement do not allow the use of 'belts, straps or harnesses of any description' and thus the records made at Yale and Harvard are not comparable."