YALE ELECTIVE PAMPHLET

Extension and Development of the Elective System on New Lines.

"The Course of Study in Yale College for the Year 1901-02," a pamphlet which takes the place of the old "Prospectus of Elective Courses offered to Senior and Junior Classes," will shortly be distributed among the undergraduate students at Yale. It contains more than a hundred pages, and describes all the courses of study offered by the college, from the freshman to the senior year, following the system recently approved by the corporation.

According to the general statement contained in the first pages, "a candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Arts must, before graduation, complete courses which shall aggregate sixty hours of class-room work per week." Ordinarily he will take fifteen hours a week during his freshman year, from fifteen to eighteen in each of the next two years, and as a senior not less than twelve hours. But it is possible to anticipate some of the freshman courses before entering, so that the degree may be secured by capable students in three years.

For those who do not anticipate first-year work, three hours work a week in each of the four studies, Latin, Greek, English and Mathematics, and three hours in either French or German, is required during the freshman year. Sophomores take either five or six courses selected from the following list, each course occupying three hours a week: Latin, Greek, French (elementary or advanced), English, Mathematics, Analytic Geometry, Physics, Chemistry, Mental Science, Philosophy and History.

In choosing the studies of the junior and senior years, the students will hereafter select from a large list of subjects. These subjects are divided into three groups, and the courses in the different groups are arranged in three progressive grades--A, B, and C. Before graduation the student must have completed connected courses of these three grades, aggregating at least seven hours per week, in one division of study, and connected courses of grades A and B, aggregating at least five hours per week, in each of the other divisions. This regulation compels the student to select one major and two minor lines of study during his college course. The divisions are as follows:

1. Languages and Literature,--comprising Ancient Languages, Classical Archaeology, Linguistics, Biblical Languages and Literature, the Modern Languages and English.

2. Mathematics and the Natural and Physical Sciences,--comprising Mathematics, Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Physical Geography, Mineralogy, Biology, Anatomy, Histology, Botany and Forestry.

3. Philosophy, History and the Social Sciences, -- comprising Psychology, Ethics, Logic, Philosophy, Pedagogics, Ancient, Mediaeval and Modern History, Economics, Politics and the Science of Society.

Princeton has an Automobile Club.