UNION CONSTITUTION CHANGED.

Graduates Eligible to Active Membership.--Question of Dues Deferred.

The first meeting of the Committee on the Union was held last night in the Faculty Room. Professor Hollis was elected chairman of the meeting and R. C. Bolling 2L., secretary. Major Higginson spoke briefly, emphasizing the fact that the Union must support itself in order to be successful. He said that according to various estimates which he had made including rent, insurance, taxes, service, electricity and water supply, and other necessaries the annual expenses of the club would be about $30,000. The Committee then proceeded to take up the Articles of the proposed Constitution in their order.

Article III was amended by a clause inserted in the first sentence, providing that the Board of Trustees shall "be appointed by the President and Fellows in the first instance." Article IV was passed without amendment.

About Article V there was a great deal of discussion. The question was debated whether a Governing Board from which standing committees could be chosen would not be preferable to the plan of the three committees as laid down in the Constitution. This question was finally decided by the approval of Section 1 as it stands. The longest discussion of the evening was over Section 2, on the manner of electing members of the House Committee from the different departments of the University. The section was amended so as to provide that the representatives on the House Committee from the Graduate, Law and Divinity Schools shall be chosen by the members of those respective schools separately. In the case of the College and Scientific School the representatives shall be nominated as provided in Article VI, but the election of these representatives shall be by the combined balloting of the two departments. This section was further amended in regard to the ratio by which representatives of the various departments on the House Committee shall be chosen. Instead of just one member for every five hundred students, there shall be one member for every four hundred. This would, according to present conditions, give the College one more representative on the committee without altering those of the other departments.

In order to facilitate business, consideration of the provisions in their order was now abandoned. Section 1 of Article VII was taken up and was amended so as to provide that all present members and past members of the University are eligible to active membership in the Union. The effect of this in changing the following sections of Article VII was passed over for a discussion of the question of dues. F. S. Arnold 2G., presented some interesting statistics, the result of a canvass made in several dormitories with a view to discovering the feelings of students in regard to the ten dollar dues. He explained that about twenty-five per cent more men would join under the five dollar dues than under the ten dollar dues. This he said was not accurately representative of the University, but was very suggestive. A motion was passed providing that Professor Hollis appoint a committee of five to estimate by canvass the number of men who would join at different dues; the committee to report at the next meeting.

The matter of the names to be commemorated in the first panels to be carved in the Living Room, was then taken up. Professor Hollis was empowered to appoint a committee to submit a list of names at the next meeting. The two committees will be appointed today.

The next meeting of the Committee will take place on Monday, March 11.