FRESHMEN WIN DEBATE.

The Final Contest Between Seniors and Freshmen to be on April 9.

The inter-class debate between the Sophomores and Freshmen last night was won by the Freshmen. The question was "Resolved, That the United States should adopt a system of shipping subsidies." The affirmative side was supported by the Sophomore team--G. Bettman, E. F. Mann and H. A. Rich. J. Daniels, R. J. Henshaw and A. A. Ballantine were the Freshman speakers. In point of argument and finished presentation the debate was above the usual interclass contest.

The case of the Sophomores was that we need a merchant marine for national defense in time of war and for national development in time of peace. Further, that the subsidy is the best method of creating this merchant marine, and that if it were once created it would need no further aid.

The contention of the negative was that a system of shipping subsidies would be a burden on the people; that our shipping industry has increased in the last decade, and that it would continue to grow from natural causes unassisted by any stimulus from without.

The final inter-class debate, at which the Pasteur medal will be awarded, will take place April 9 between the Seniors and the Freshmen. The question for this debate will be announced March 15. The Seniors will be coached by H. P. Chandler '01 and the Freshmen by H. B. Kirtland '01.