Performance of "The Viking."

The Graduates' performance of "The Viking" last night was very successful. The play ran very smoothly and rapidly; the dances show the effect of careful rehearsing and the chorus has evidently been well trained. The book, by T. Stensland 3L., is exceedingly funny, especially in the third act, and has a well-connected plot. In the first act, which depicts the departure of Leif Ericsson from Norway, the author has followed a more serious vein. The act is brightened, however, by a catchy "Fisherman's Song," sung by J. M. Ross '01, who plays the part of Olaf, the innkeeper. One feature of the second act is the appearance of some twenty Indian warriors. The third act is filled with entertaining songs and dances. The opening chorus sung by twelve policemen, the Duke of Dedbroke's song, the "American Heiress," and the coon song, "My Animated Sunbeam," all received several encores.

The awakening of Leif in the heart of Boston, after a sleep of nine hundred years, gives ample opportunity for ludicrous situations. His astonishment and dismay is cleverly portrayed by T. Stensland 3L, who plays the title role. He acts with spontaneity and ingenuousness. He is well seconded by J. L. Kimbrough '02, in the character of Tyrker, an adventurous German with a realistic accent. F. M. Sawtell '02, who takes the part of Sigurd, is indeed an "insidious and crafty" villain, as he proclaims in his entrance song. One of the hardest parts in the first act is that of Sweyn, Olaf's foolish but sly servant. It is taken by J. C. Miller '01. He is seen again in the third act as Professor Hasafad, the enthusiastic discoverer of Leif Ericsson. C. C. Brayton '01 makes a laughable figure in this act as a Chicago wheat king of the "nouveau riche" type. P. L. Fish '01, as the insipid, affected Duke of Dedbroke, and J. M. Ross '01, as the threadbare actor, are worthy of commendation. The leading girls' parts are taken by J. S. Chipman '01 and W. H. Taylor '01. The former makes a petite and graceful heroine. Taylor plays Nodo Woodmarry, the gay, sprightly chorus girl.

Tickets for the Cambridge and Boston performances are now on sale at Thurston's and at Herrick's.