GAME WITH COLBY CANCELLED.

Rain Prevents University Baseball Game. Freshmen and Second Nine Win.

The baseball game with Colby, scheduled for yesterday afternoon, was cancelled on account of rain. No attempt will be made to play the game, as Colby plays Exeter today.

Second Nine, 13; Roxbury Latin, 1.

The Second Nine defeated Roxbury Latin yesterday afternoon, 13 runs to 1. The Harvard team was very weak in the outfield, and the playing of the infield was erratic and ragged. The base running was good, but the batting was not very encouraging. With Farmer, the substitute Roxbury Latin pitcher in the box, the Second Nine scored their runs, not by clean hitting, but largely by fielding errors by the school boys, and by bases on balls. In the last two innings, the College nine were unable to hit Schoenfuss, the regular school pitcher, at all, and did not get a man beyond first base.

Dudley pitched for seven innings for the Harvard team, and struck out the Roxbury Latin batters at will until the seventh inning, when a three base hit by Schoenfuss and an error by Jaynes gave the Roxbury team their only run. He was replaced by Winsor, who was equally effective. Jaques gave both pitchers good support and threw well to bases. The infield had but few chances, but did not accept them with the speed and accuracy which will be necessary against a stronger team. Jaynes, who played in centre field yesterday, was very slow in the field and weak at the bat.

The Roxbury Latin nine fielded very poorly and most of the team could not hit the ball at all. The good individual players on the nine lack experience and have little understanding of team play.

The score by innings: Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 r.  h.  e. Harvard Second,  0  2  2  0  2  7  0  0  --13  5  2 Roxbury Latin,  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  0  0--1  3  6

Freshmen, 24; Newton High, 2.

The Freshman nine played six innings against the Newton High School team yesterday, and won easily by the score of 24 to 2. The Newton team was weak at the bat and in the field, but the large score made by the Freshmen was due largely to poor pitching. Not only were the Freshman batters able to hit the ball very effectively, but also they were given many bases on balls, especially in the last inning, when Leonard, the Newton pitcher, forced in four runs. In spite of easy pitching, however, the batting record of the Freshmen, with eight singles, four two-base hits and two three-base hits, is very creditable.

In the field the Freshmen played well, accepting every chance without an error. The infield gave the pitchers good support, and handled the wet bali well. Bennett, at short-stop, was fast and accurate in fielding, but made some poor throws. All the fielders, in their eagerness for swift fielding, were not careful enough in throwing to bases.

Both Alexander and Hutchinson pitched a steady game, Alexander being better in his control.

The score by innings: Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  r.  h.  e. Freshmen,  7  4  3  4  1  5  24  14  0 Newton High,  0  0  1  0  0  1  2  5  7

Freshmen Play Boston Latin Today.

The Freshman nine will play the Boston Latin School team this afternoon at four o'clock on Soldiers Field. Following is the batting order of the teams: Freshmen.  Boston L. S. Dana, l.f.  c., McGrath. Rockwell, c.f.  l.f., Dewar. Pierce, r.f.  2b., Leary. Battelle, 1b.  s.s., Green. Bennett, s.s.  1b., McCarty. Sheldon, 3b.  3b., French. Fischel, 2b.  c.f., Sullivan. Hamlin, c.,  r.f., Shannahan. Alexander, p.  p., White.

Freshmen, 24; Newton High, 2.

Freshmen Play Boston Latin Today.

Freshmen Play Boston Latin Today.