DEBATE WITH PRINCETON.

Seventh Annual Harvard-Princeton Debate at Princeton Tonight.

The seventh annual debate between Harvard and Princeton will be held this evening at Princeton. The question for discussion is. "Resolved, That Congress was justified in imposing the terms embodied in the Platt amendment to the army appropriation bill, as conditions precedent to leaving the government and control of Cuba to its people, the condition with regard to the Isle of Pines being excepted." Princeton chose the question and Harvard decided to support the negative. The Harvard team, composed of J. D. Fackler 1L., J. W. Scott '04 and H. P. Chandler '01 will give their opening speeches in the order named, and in rebuttal the order will be the same. C. P. McCarthy '02 is alternate. For Princeton the main speeches will be given by W. A. Babson '01, W. E. Hope '01 and R. S. Steen '01. The alternates are A. J. Byles '03, F. W. Fort '01, S. B. Scott 1G., and R. W. Sutton '01. The main speeches will be twelve minutes in length, the rebuttal speeches five. The judges will be: Gen. A. D. Andrews, T. L. James and J. E. Parsons, all of New York.

The Harvard team left Cambridge yesterday at one o'clock. They will stay in New York at the Murray Hill Hotel.

THE HARVARD SPEAKERS.

Henry Porter, Chandler '01, of Indian Orchard, Mass., prepared for college at the San Jose High School and entered Leland Stanford University in 1896. Two years later he entered Harvard as a Sophomore, and that year was on the Sophomore class team in the debate with the Freshmen. This year he took part in the Yale debate and won the Coolidge Prize of $100.00 in the trials for the Princeton debate. He is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and is Class Orator of the present graduating class.

John D. Fackler 1L., of Mansfield, Ohio, prepared for college at the Savannan Academy, and entered Webster University in 1898, graduating in 1900. He was prominent in speaking contests and represented the University in the debate against Denison College. He is instructor in the Wooster University Summer School.

James Walter Scott '04, of South New Bend, N. Y., prepared for college at the Connecticut Literary Institute, where he won the Kent Prize for extemporaneous speaking. He was a member of the Freshman team that defeated Exeter this year and also represented his class in the Freshman-Senior debate.

THE PRINCETON SPEAKERS.

William Arthur Babson '01, of South Orange, N. J., prepared for college at the Bordentown Military Institute. Although this is the first time he has been a member of an intercollegiate team, he has had wide experience as a public speaker. He won the Junior Oratorical Contest last year, and the Baird Prize for oratory this year. He will take part in the Lynde Debate at Commencement, on the American Whig Society team and will also be one of the Commencement speakers.

Walter Ewing Hope '01, a member of the Cliosophic Society, entered Princeton from the Brooklyn High School, winning the New York Entrance Prize of one hundred dollars. Besides winning the Sophomore English Prize of the Class of 1859, he was on the Junior team in the Class of 1876 Prize Debate last year, and this year won the Baird Prize for delivery. He has also been managing editor of the 1901 "Bric-a-Brac," and editor-in-chief of the Princetonian. He was on the debating team which defeated Yale this year, and has been chosen Valedictorian of the Senior Class for Commencement.

Robert Service Steen '01 has twice been on teams that have defeated Yale in debating. Together with Babson, he will represent the American Whig Society in the Lynde Debate this year. He also has won several prize debates -- the Competitive Debate, the Junior Prize Debate, the Class of 1876 Prize Debate, and the Baird Prize for Disputation. He lives in Philadelphia, and prepared for college at the Hamilton School in that city