Baseball at Cornell.

The Cornell nine, which will play Harvard at Cambridge on May 30, has shown promise during the season of being one of the best that has ever represented Cornell, although there have been one or two serious slumps in the playing. During the southern trip the work was fair, but the team was beaten by Georgetown in an interesting game, and lost to North Carolina on account of poor fielding. Since the sourthern trip the team has beaten Columbia by the score of 2 to 1, and Princeton, 6 to 1. It has been defeated, however, by Princeton, 21 to 2, and by Pennsylvania, 13 to 7.

Great efforts have been made to improve the batting, and the victory over Princeton was a result of these efforts.

The fielding is often ragged, and inexcusable errors mar almost every game.

The regular battery, Chase and Whinery, is the mainstay of the team. Chase usually pitches a winning game, and Whinery, besides supporting him well, is also strong at the bat. There is, however, a lack of good substitutes for battery positions, and this accounts for several defeats.

Throughout the season the team has been coached by Hugh Jennings, a former national league player, who is now studying at Cornell.