"The Choice of Electives."

Professor Lowell spoke in Sever 11 last night on the elective system and the choice of studies. He said in part:

Concerning the selection of courses, two theories are urged. One holds that in mental education, as in physical, the weak point should be developed; the other, that the profit is greatest where the strongest interests lie. A student can hardly be expected to throw the weight of his energy into work that is odious; but he should never leave college with a gap in his mental development. Again, authorities disagree on the advisability of preparing for graduate work by the study of kindred subjects in college. In any case no greater mistake can be made than to attempt to anticipate the actual work of a graduate school, at the expense of general knowledge. What subject is chosen for emphasis is really not essential. The student should bear in mind, however, that some courses and some instructors, valuable to the specialist, are not suited for giving a general view. He must think of the probable advantage of his choice in after years, when simple knowledge fails, but when ability to follow the interests of his fellows is the mark of the educated man.