CAMBRIDGE, MASS., Jan. 9, 1902.

CUTTS WAS INELIGIBLE.

To the Harvard Athletic Committee:

I desire to assume all responsibility for the statement made before the football game with Yale that I had never received money which would in any way impair my standing as an amateur in college sports.

While teaching in a preparatory school before entering the Harvard Law School, I gave private lessons in boxing and fencing to several boys who were students in the school, and I received pay for these lessons. At the time it did not occur to me that this would in any way affect my position as an amateur in outside sports, and the matter dropped entirely from my mind. When my eligibility was challenged the day before the Yale game, I never once thought of these private lessons, and did not subsequently recall them until they were brought to my attention, as I had not considered them of any importance. I therefore gave the Athletic Committee the assurance that I was an amateur within the full meaning of the Harvard rules, which debar men who have received money for teaching physical exercises. My statement having been received by the Athletic Committee as conclusive evidence of my eligibility, it is my earnest desire now to relieve Harvard of any embarassment in my case, as my wish was to contribute in an honorable manner only toward Harvard success.  Respectfully,  O. F. CUTTS.