"School, College and Character."

Five essays by Dean L. B. R. Briggs have been collected in a little book recently published under the title "School, College and Character." All have appeared before; four were printed in the Atlantic Monthly. The subjects are: "Fathers, Mothers and Freshmen," "Some Old-Fashioned Doubts about New-Fashioned Education." "College Honor," "Some Aspects of Grammar School Training," and "The Transition from School to College."

The successful college at once trains scholars and makes men. The second of these functions gives the theme of this book, and the theme is treated, not theoretically, but in the light of long experience which a rare sympathy and understanding have made of the highest value. The essays are frank, forceful in their simplicity, full of humor, pointing out vividly the influences which work for the undermining of character or for its ennoblement, and revealing the folly of the curious idea that young men benefit from dabblings in vices. The book will be of much interest to Harvard men, but it should be most gladly welcomed by those who will find in it a little piece of the personality which it has not been given them to know more intimately.

"School, College and Character," L. B. R. Briggs. Houghton, Mifflin & Co. 12mo., cloth, price $1.00.