YALE WINS AT CHESS.

Harvard Gets Third Place.--A Close Match.--The Scores.

The tenth annual intercollegiate chess tournament, which took place in New York during the Christmas recess was won by Yale with Columbia second, Harvard third and Princeton last. This is the first time Yale has won since the present series of intercollegiate tournaments was started, Harvard having won six tournaments and Columbia three. The best individual record was made by H. C. Russ '02 of Yale, who won all his three games. H. A. Keeler '03 of Columbia had the next best score, winning two games and tieing the third. G. E. Hyde '04 and C. T. Rice 1G. did the best work for Harvard, each winning two matches.

The tournament was held at the Columbia Grammar School, New York, on December 26, 27 and 28. On the first day Princeton took the lead by winning three games from Harvard, while Columbia won from Yale by the score of 2 1-2 to 1 1-2. The score of the first day was, Princeton 3, Columbia 2 1-2, Yale 1 1-2 and Harvard 1.

In the second day's play Columbia took first place by defeating Princeton by the score of 2 1-2 to 1 1-2. The Harvard-Yale match was drawn. At the end of the second day Columbia had won 5 games, Princeton 4 1-2, Yale 3 1-2 and Harvard 3.

In the last round Yale passed both Columbia and Princeton by winning four straight games from the latter. Harvard also passed Princeton winning 2 1-2 games from Columbia. The final score was, Yale 7 1-2, Columbia 6 1-2, Harvard 5 1-2 and Princeton 4 1-2.

The results of the individual games in the tournament were as follows:

Thursday, December 26--Sewall (C) defeated Sawin (Y), Keeler (C) drew with Adams (Y), Von Sholly (C) defeated Roberts (Y), Russ (Y) defeated Tucker (C).

Hunt (P) defeated Rice (H), Hyde (H) defeated Hankinson (P), Pilgram (P) defeated Catchings (H), Dodd (P) defeated Carr (H).

Friday, December 27--Sewall (C) drew with Hunt (P), Keeler (C) defeated Hankinson (P), Von Sholly (C) drew with Pilgram (P), Tucker (C) drew with Dodd (P).

Rice (H) defeated Sawin (Y), Hyde (H) defeated Adams (Y), Roberts (Y) defeated Catchings (H), Russ (Y) defeated Carr (H).

Saturday, December 28--Rice (H) defeated Sewall (C), Keeler (C) defeated Hyde (H), Catchings (H) drew with Von Sholly (C), Carr (H) defeated Tucker (C).

Sawin (Y) defeated Hunt (P), Adams (Y) defeated Hankinson (P), Roberts (Y) defeated Pilgram (P), Russ (Y) defeated Dodd (P).

The full score of the match is given below:

After the tournament a meeting of the players was held and the following players were chosen to represent Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Princeton in the next cable match against Oxford and Cambridge: Rice and Hyde of Harvard, Sewall and Keeler of Columbia, Hunt of Princeton and Sawin of Yale.

A silver loving cup was presented to Mr. E. A. Caswell by the participants in the tournament as a return for his service during the last ten years as manager of the tournaments.   YALE. Name.  Won.  Lost. Russ,  3  0 Roberts,  2  1 Adams,  1 1/2  1 1/2 Sawin,  1  2   --  -- Totals,  7 1/2  4 1/2   COLUMBIA. Keeler,  2 1/2  1/2 Von Sholly,  2  1 Sewall,  1 1/2  1 1/2 Tucker,  1/2  2 1/2   --  -- Totals,  6 1/2  5 1/2   HARVARD. Rice,  2  1 Hyde,  2  1 Carr,  1  2 Catchings,  1/2  2 1/2   --  -- Totals,  5 1/2  6 1/2   PRINCETON. Hunt,  1 1/2  1 1/2 Pilgram,  1 1/2  1 1/2 Dodd,  1 1/2  1 1/2 Hankinson,  0  3   --  -- Totals,  4 1/2  7 1/2