Courses in Debating.

There are several courses offered by the English department which are of great service to debaters.

The first course naturally open to a Sophomore is English 18. This is a course in forensic composition, without any delivery of the work written and dealing with the public address in general. Especial stress is laid upon the importance of style, and the two elements of conviction and persuasion.

Of more immediate interest to the debater is English 10, a half course in public speaking. The technique of delivery and voice production, and the essentials to an easy stage presence form the subjects of study. The student is also urged to perfect himself in extemporaneous speaking in the last part of the year.

Finally there is English 30. This course is actual debating, and its membership is therefore necessarily limited in number. It is open to Juniors, Seniors, and in special cases to Sophomores who have given proof of a real interest in the subject. Every man in the course takes part in four debates in the year, in addition to various chances of speaking from the floor. The first half of this course corresponds in a rough way to the work done in English 18. The last half of the course is therefore open to men who have taken English 18.

No student is admitted to English 30 unless he has taken or is taking English 10, as no time can be given in 30 to technical elocution. A student may also take English 18 and the second half of English 30 the same year, provided he attains the grade C in the first half of 18, and has taken or is taking 10.

In addition to these three courses there are a number of voluntary reading classes conducted by Mr. Copeland. These classes meet once a week, and are open to all members of the University. Mr. Copeland has also conducted for three years a Law School Debating Club, of which the object to be attained is ready and informal extemporaneous speaking.