FEW REGULAR MEN IN LINE-UP.

Second Eleven Out-Plays a Largely Substitute Team

Most of the men who have been playing regularly on the University eleven of late took no active part in the practice yesterday; Barnard and A. Marshall were the only ones who played in the line-up against the second team. Several of the candidates who have been sick or hurt, however, were on the field and engaged in the scrimmage, though only for a short time. Graydon was again in his old position at fullback. Clark played for a time at left end, and Knowlton at right tackle, Kernan, Marshall, King, Mills, and Leatherbee did not enter the line-up, but merely practised forming interference. Kernan also practised punting for the first time since the beginning of the season, and drop-kicked several goals from the field. An injury received by Stillman in the West Point game will probably force him to rest for a week, but is not likely to prove seriously troublesome. W. A. M. Burden '00, captain and right guard on the 1899 eleven, preceded Wilder at right guard on the second eleven and proved more than match for A. Marshall, his opponent.

The general playing of the University team was unsatisfactory, and again emphasized the weakness of the defense. The second eleven went through the line yards at a time and gained half the length of the field before being stopped. The first team, on the contrary, was able to gain but a very little distance before the second eleven secured the ball on downs. Altogether the University team made but 40 yards while the second made 90 yards. As a rule the linemen gave too little attention to following the ball and troubled too much with individual play. On the offense, the interference was easily destroyed and frequently blocked the runner. The line-up follows: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Matthews, Clark, l.e.  r.e., Crocker Shea, l.t.  r.t., Oveson Marshall, Hovey, l.g.  r.g., Burden, Wilder Lyon, c.  c., Sugden Barnard, Coburn, r.g.  l.g., Force Knowlton, Bleakie, r.t.  l.t., Fox Motley, r.e.  l.e., Littig Daly, q.b.  q.b., Noyes Knowles, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Pruyn Foster, Hurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Harrison Graydon, Piper, f.b.  f.b., Ives