INTERCOLLEGIATE GOLF BEGINS

Harvard Plays Columbia This Morning. Winner of Match Plays Yale.

The seventh annual tournament of the Intercollegiate Golf Association, composed of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Pennsylvania and Columbia, will begin today at the Morris County Golf Club, Morristown, N. J. After the last tournament, held at Garden City in May, it was decided to hold the future tournaments in the fall instead of in the spring, on account of the better opportunities for practice obtained during the summer.

The tournament will continue throughout the week. Today and tomorrow the team matches will be played; for Thursday, Friday and Saturday the individual championship matches are scheduled.

Harvard has an unusually strong team, and should have a good chance of winning the team match and possibly the individual championship. Four of last year's team will play, H. C. Egan '04, winner of the Western championship, A. M. Brown '03 captain, U. A. Murdock '04, and W. E. Egan '05. Although Princeton will be weakened by the loss of four of the men who played last year, the two strongest players, Poole and Reinhart, are on the present team. P. R. Pyne, captain, winner of the individual championship in 1899, is one of the strongest players in the colleges. From the winning team of the last tournament, Yale still has Jennings, Reid and Hitchcock, the last of whom is the intercollegiate champion. Neither the Pennsylvania nor the Columbia team is especially strong.

The orders of the teams are as follows:

Harvard-Hollins, H. C. Egan, W. E. Egan, Murdock, Winston and Brown.

Yale-Hitchcock, Jennings, Campbell, Bates, Behr and either Reid, Potter, Richmond or Carroll.

Princeton-Pyne, Conklin, Poole, Baker, Reinhart and either Fox, Towne, Garretson, or Olyphant.

Pennsylvania-McFarland, Naylor, Hill, Lindsey, Castner and Calvert.

Columbia-Bates, Glenny, Edwards, Jackson, Slosson and Stevens.

Harvard will play Columbia this morning and in the afternoon the winner of the match will play Yale. Princeton and Pennsylvania also will play in the afternoon.