Graduate School Reception.

The Faculty of the Graduate School gave a reception to members of the School last night in the Faculty room of University Hall. Over two hundred graduate students and a considerable number of Faculty members were present. Professor Wright, Dean of the School, presided.

Professor Royce, the first speaker, made the subject of his remarks certain problems that confront those who are actively engaged in the advancement of special research and graduate work in America. An English observer feared that we pay too little attention to developing the undergraduate in our endeavor to secure success in special research. These ideas in regard to graduate work suggest to us in America a warning. We must be careful not to lose sight of our ideals, nor of our general culture in the all-absorbing work of our special research. And yet there is no reason why the advancement of culture cannot go on still better in advanced study than in preliminary academic work. It is not possible for the graduate student to add so-called culture studies to his curriculum; he cannot take a great variety of courses; he must choose his work from one or, at most, two departments. Nevertheless, these conditions need not and should not mean isolation of spirit.

There are three ways in which a man, in his special advanced work, may still keep in mind the general cause of culture and remain loyal to his true ideals: first, he should cultivate and preserve a sound literary ideal; second, he should become acquainted with the lives and ideals of the scholars who have done great work in his particular branch of study; and third, he should become conscious of the methods of work in his special field of research.

The second speaker was Dean Briggs, who emphasized the fact that knowledge must be pursued not as a means but as an end. He furthermore expressed the hope that many men would deliberately enter the great field of secondary education.

Mr. A. H. Carpenter, 4G., President of the Graduate Club, spoke in behalf of that organization, explaining its aims and purposes. He laid particular stress on the social pleasures that the club affords.