THE WELCOME TO FRESHMEN.

Speeches by President Eliot, Dean Hurlbut, Professor Peabody and R. Ernst.

A large audience was present at the annual reception to Freshmen which was held last night in Sanders Theatre. Dean Shaler presided, and short speeches were made by President Eliot, Professor Peabody, Dean Hurlbut and R. Ernst '03.

President Eliot was the first speaker. He said in part: It is very hard for the new student to decide upon his course of life amid the many diverse influences of the inexhaustible Harvard environment Here he finds every possible opinion on every possible subject vigorously represented. He finds a powerful individualistic tendency, but he finds also the social tendency. He has the responsibility of developing his own character, and he has also social duties to his class and literary interests of the College. He sees some men in College who try to be popular and influential, some who lead quiet and retired lives; he knows that men of both kinds succeed and fail in after life. But whether in solitude or society, there is one good rule for the man of intellectual life to follow: "Never think of yourself." After entering college a man no longer belongs to himself, he is joined to this ancient and serviceable University, and belongs to the living and dead of its company. He cannot live to himself-and when the time comes, he cannot die to himself.

Professor Peabody, the next speaker, said: It is some months before the new student becomes conscious of the great simple religious movement sweeping through our midst. It is difficult to observe our religion on the surface, because we are quiet; perhaps we are too reserved. Our religion is that of character rather than creed. Chapel services here have long ceased to be a thing of compulsion, they are a privilege. Those of us who desire, meet simply in Appleton Chapel for fifteen minutes every morning, to ask a word of consecration on the day's work.

Dean Hurlbut was the next speaker. One of the greatest perplexities for the new student, he said, is that of sifting all the different advice he receives. In sifting it, in deciding upon his line of conduct, there are two fundamental questions he should ask himself. The first is, "What am I going to do for Harvard?" The second was suggested by a man who has been called the "ideal type of Harvard man"-it is, "What am I going to do for the other fellow?"

Roger Ernst '03 spoke in place of R. Derby, president of the Senior class, who was absent on account of illness. After welcoming the Freshmen in behalf of the Senior class, he urged every member of the class to take an active part in some outside interest, and do something to make his class pre-eminent. Every Freshman, he also said, should go to his Freshman reception, and join the Union, so that he may meet as many men as possible, and come closely in touch with the spirit of the University.

Dean Shaler, in closing the meeting, spoke of the cordial relation which exists at Harvard between the teachers and the students.