Football at Yale.

The football practice at Yale this week was the hardest which has been held this year. The team having passed the preliminary work of the season, the aim during the week has been the development of concerted team work and the correction of individual faults which the minor games have brought to light. The formations to be used in the final games of the year were practiced under the direction of a large number of coaches. Perhaps the most welcome addition to the coaching staff was F. G. Brown '01, captain of the 1900 team. He will remain at New Haven throughout the present week, and his practice of frequently playing on the second team gives the candidates the most practical training possible. Among the other coaches have been F. S. Butterworth '95, W. B. Connor '99, G. T. Adee '95 H. S. Graves '94, and J. A. Hartwell '89.

The work of the week has resulted in several important changes made in the line-up. Shevlin has been moved from tackle to end and Kinney put in his place at left tackle. Hamlin, who has been playing at tackle, is now being used as a substitute to the three centre men. He played guard last fall, so he is not inexperienced in the work of the centre of the line. The transfer of Shevlin, and the appearance of Raferty, substitute end for the past two years, have not served to simplify, but rather to complicate the situation at the ends. These two men and Coffin and Wilhelmi appear to be evenly matched in ability. All are heavy and only fairly fast. Shevlin and Wilhelmi are handicapped by inexperience in the position. There is little reason to doubt that the ends will be played by two of these men but to pick which two is at present practically impossible. The tackles have been the subject of constant coaching, especially in defense. Both Kinney and Hogan are developing strength in the tackles-back formations. Metcalf has played steadily at quarter-back. Two sets of backs are now being used, the first including Chadwick left half, Ward right half, and Farmer full-back, and the second Preston left half, Allen right half, and Bowman fullback. The defensive play of the backs, which has been rather a weak point all fall, fails to show a material improvement. Captain Chadwick easily excels the other men in this respect.

Much time has been given to the development of a kicking game. S. Ward and Bowman have both fallen off somewhat in punting, and the University team is frequently put on the defensive by the superior kicking of the second team backs.