FRESHMEN DEFEAT YALE 1906.

Fast Play and Good Team Work Win Game.-Score 22 to 10.

The Freshman eleven defeated the Yale freshmen at New Haven on Saturday by a score of 22 to 10. Yale was clearly outplayed in every department of the game, but scored by a goal from the field by Twitchell and a trick play around right end.

Yale won the toss and chose the north goal with the wind slightly in their favor. Nesmith kicked off to Yale and the ball was carried to the centre of the field before Harvard held for downs. By a series of short line plunges by Guild and Nesmith the ball was brought to Yale's 40 yard line. On the next play, less than 5 minutes after the kickoff, Nichols made a beautiful run of 40 yards for the first touchdown. Metcalf missed the goal.

After the second kickoff Harvard gained by steady line plunges and tackles-back plays until the ball was on Yale's 25-yard line. Here again Nichols received the ball and with practically the entire team for interference ran 25 yards for a touchdown. Metcalf kicked the goal. The score at the end of the half stood 11 to 0 in favor of Harvard.

In the second half Yale kicked off to Harvard on her 20-yard line. By a series of line plays the ball was carried, slowly but surely down the field and Guild carried it over for the third touchdown, Metcalf kicked the goal.

Harvard again received the kickoff, but lost the ball on downs at the centre of the field. Yale punted to Harvard's 8-yard line, secured the ball there on holding and on a third, down Leavenworth circled left end, by a trick play, for a touchdown. Twitchell failed to kick the goal.

On the next kickoff Harvard got the ball on her 5 yard line, but it was given to Yale on account of holding. Harvard made a superb stand for three downs and on the next play Yale fumbled. Metcalf picked up the ball and ran to Yale's 25-yard line before he was tackled. From there the ball was carried over by Guild for the fourth touchdown, after a series of line plunges through tackle.

Twitchell scored for Yale in the last few minutes of play by a goal from the field from Harvard's 30-yard line. Time was called soon after.

The line-up was as follows. HARVARD 1906.  YALE 1906. Bartels, l.e.  r.e., Hecksher Paul, l.t.  r.t., Jackson Carrick, l.g.  r.g., George Parkinson, c.  c., Smith White, r.g.  l.g., Downing, Bradsby Upton, r.t.  l.t., Turner Montgomery, r.e.  l.e., Lewis Metcalf, q.b.  q.b., Twitchell Nichols, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Leavenworth Nesmith, White, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Stevenson, McGee Guild, f.b.  f.b., Hoyt

Score-Harvard 1906, 22; Yale 1906, 10. Touchdowns-Nichols 2, Guild 2, Leavenworth 1. Goals from touchdowns-Metcalf 2. Goal from field-Twitchell. Umpire-Cartwright. Referee - Cooper. Linesmen - Whitman, Harvard, and Spaulding, Yale. Time - 30 minute halves.