Professor Fenn's Talk.

Professor W. W. Fenn gave a talk last night before the Religious Union in Phillips Brooks House. His subject was "Liberal Religion." He said in part that there are two kinds of education, technical and liberal. The technical education fits a man to do some one thing--it is a means to an end. Liberal education, on the other hand, is itself the end. It is the same with religion. A savage makes his sacrifice or bows before his idol in order to get something in return for his worship. Some Christians consider their religion a means for deliverance. Without disparaging this form there is a better form--liberal religion, in which the experience of religion is the only end. This liberal religion has something in common with the moral virtues, with beauty, with friendship.

This idea of liberal religion also contains the idea of tolerance. If religious experience is the sole thing, then creed and dogma are forgotten. A Bhuddist can have as uplifting religious experiences as a Christian. This view makes every man your brother.