ELEVEN VERY ERRATIC

Freshmen and Second Eleven Score -- Part of Practice Open

Yesterday the football practice was open for fifteen minutes, during which time the eleven played a game with the Freshmen. The score was 12 to 6 in favor of the University team. In the secret practice which followed there was a twenty minute line-up between the University and second elevens, in which each side scored once. The following coaches directed the work: M. Donald '99, J. Lawrence '01, P. D. Haughton '99, B. G. Waters '94, J. Dunlop '96, F. D. Cochrane '99, W. H. Lewis '95, R. W. P. Brown '98, W. G. Lee 3M., O. F. Cutts 3L., G. Murchie '95, G. W. Bouve '98, W. Hoag '94.

The work of the entire afternoon was marred by unsteady play on both attack and defense, frequent fumbling, offside play and slow and uncertain following of the ball. The two touchdowns scored against the University eleven were made by long runs on blocked punts. Slow work in the line allowed the blocking of the punts, and failure to follow the play made the runs possible. In the game with the Freshman team, the University eleven started with a series of tackle plays which carried the ball in four minutes from the centre of the field to the goal line. Wright carried the ball most of the time, gaining on the average 4 yards to a down. Stillman added a 20 yard gain around right end and Knowlton scored the touchdown on a 10 yard plunge. After the kick-off, Stillman punted to the Freshman team's 25 yard line, and after a few plays, Barnard blocked a punt and fell on the ball 15 yards from the goal line. The loss of five yards for offside play prevented a touchdown, and Marshall tried a field goal. It was blocked; Whitman picked up the ball and ran eighty yards for a touchdown. After the kick-off, the Freshmen held the ball for seven downs because of offside play by the University eleven, but gained only a couple of yards by rushing. Fumbles were then made by both teams, and after two more downs, Hodges punted to the middle of the field. Line plunges by Wright, Knowlton and Stillman then carried the ball down the field by short gains for a touchdown. Time was then called.

In the secret practice of twenty minutes, the University and second elevens each scored a touchdown. After the kick-off, the second team gained 30 yards by rushing, but was finally held for downs. The first eleven fumbled but regained the ball on downs on the second's 30 yard line. Short gains carried the ball toward the goal and Wright scored the touchdown. On the kick-off, Stillman attempted a return punt. He was so slow that Piper blocked the kick, secured the ball and scored a touchdown. There was no further scoring.

The line-up with the Freshmen follows: UNIVERSITY TEAM.  FRESHMEN. Clarke, l.e.  r.e., Upton Wright, l.t.  r.t., Gill A. Marshall, l.g.  r.g., Pell, White King, c.  c., Sloan, White Barnard, r.g.  l.g., McFadon Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Paul Montgomery, r.e.  l.e., Whitman C. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Bartels Stillman, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Hodges Leatherbee, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Nichols Graydon, Harrison, f.b.  f.b., Hogg, Guild

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Clarke, l.e.  r.e., McDonald Wright, l.t.  r.t., Sawyer A. Marshall, Whitwell, l.g.  r.g., Force King, Lyon, c.  c., Derby, Sugden Barnard, Mason, r.g.  l.g., Wilder Knowlton, Bleakie, r.t.  l.t., Fox Montgomery, Crocker, r.e.  l.e., Jones, Littig C. Marshall, Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Motley Stillman, Lindslay, l.h.b.  r.h.b., McGlensey, Goodhue Foster, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Leonard Harrison, Piper, f.b.  f.b., Piper, McGlensey