INTERNATIONAL LACROSSE.

Game Arranged With Oxford -- Cambridge Team for Class Day Week.

The management of the University lacrosse team has arranged a game with a combined team from Oxford and Cambridge Universities to be played on Soldiers Field during Class Day week. The English team will probably remain in Cambridge until after Class Day, and will then go to New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore to meet the members of the interuniversity and intercollegiate leagues. The rest of the summer will be taken up with a Canadian tour, during which games will be played with the principal lacrosse teams of Canada.

Lacrosse has attained great popularity in England, especially in the southern counties. The game was started at Cambridge University about twenty-seven years ago as the result of a visit of a Canadian team composed chiefly of Indians. Some years later, an American team, made up of men from Harvard, Yale, Princeton and other colleges made a tour of the United Kingdom, and this trip gave a great impetus to the game throughout Great Britain and Ireland.

It will be necessary to develop an unusually strong team this year in order successfully to oppose Oxford and Cambridge. The coaches will have a hard task to accomplish this as there are eight positions on the team to be filled. Only three of last year's, players, in addition to the captain, D. P. Penhallow '03, will be back this year; much of the new material is promising, however, as there are several strong players from the class teams of last year.

Immediately after the Christmas recess, indoor practice for all candidates will be held in the cage. The men will be divided into squads and drilled in the rudiments of the game and in light stick work. Outdoor practice will begin as soon as the ground is in condition. Class teams will then be formed, and the interclass games will be played before the Easter recess. The customary southern trip during the Easter vacation will probably not take place this year, and the men will remain in Cambridge through the vacation in order to get more steady practice.

The University team will be picked immediately after College opens for the spring term and the first regular game of the season will be played about May 1. The intercollegiate games will be over by May 30, and for the following two weeks the men will have hard and continuous practice in preparation for the final game with the English team.