Statement from the Athletic Committee.

Communications.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed. Every communication must be accompanied by the name of the writer. To the Editors of the Crimson:

As there seems to be some misunderstanding about the circumstances which led the Athletic Committee to remove Mr. King from the football team during the past season, the following statement is published, by direction of the Committee.

Mr. King entered the Law School in the fall of 1901, having graduated from Indiana University in 1898. In February, 1902, he presented a letter from the chairman of the athletic committee of Indiana University certifying that he had been a member of the regular football team of his university for three years ending with the season of 1897, and that under the four-year rule he was eligible to play one year more. This certificate, accompanied by Mr. King's statement that he had played only three years, was accepted as conclusive, and he was allowed to join the Harvard team. A few days before the Pennsylvania game, a letter reached the head coach of the Harvard team through the head coach of the Yale team offering to supply affidavits that Mr. King had played four years. This led to an investigation of the case through members and ex-members of Indiana University. It soon became apparent that Mr. King had played in games purporting to represent the University in 1893, which would have made a fourth year. And although the evidence in the case was not all in on the day of the Pennsylvania game, it seemed best to withdraw him from the team. A letter received later from the ex-chairman of the athletic committee at Indiana University established conclusively the fact that Mr. King had played at least two games in 1893 on a team which was published as the Indiana University team and which was supported by the students and members of the faculty. During the latter part of its season this team took on outsiders and became more of less a scrub team. While there were doubtless good grounds for differences of opinion in Indiana as to whether the 1893 games constituted representation of the university, there was no difference of opinion in the Athletic Committee here, and he was accordingly ruled out of the game with Yale. IRA N. HOLLIS,   For the Committee.