EMERSON HALL.

A private meeting in the interest of Emerson Hall, the proposed new philosophical building, was held yesterday afternoon at 8 Commonwealth avenue. A large number of graduates who are interested in the work of the Philosophical Department attended the meeting. The subject was introduced by Professor Munsterberg, chairman of the department who showed how necessary it was to the pursuit of study in philosophy that a new building be erected for that purpose. He said the proposed building would cost $200,000. Professor James then showed that the present quarters in Upper Dane were too small for a psychological laboratory and were unsuitable because of the noise from the street cars. President Eliot next spoke of the benefits which had resulted from unifying the Departments of Physics and Architecture and showed that the erection of Emerson Hall would affect the Philosophical Department in a similar way. Addresses were also made in favor of the new building by Professors Royce and Palmer and Major H. L. Higginson. Mr. R. H. Dana '74 was chairman of the meeting.